Skip to main content

This is my first weekend with my new 025, and I cooked the best chicken of my life last night in it (full details are on another thread here: http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...622925827#7622925827 )

Today, I turn to the small brisket (2.1 lbs) that I dry rubbed early this am. It has nice marbling, but I am worried about how small it is -- that it will dry out. I'm thinking of a water bath for the first 1.5 hrs or so and a low and slow cook (foil wrapped for the second half). Any expert advice? Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well Ralphie,

Howdy. I am also cooking a smallish brisket today - a 2.8 pound corned beef I got at Sam's. Using a hunk of hickory at 225. I slapped some dijon mustard all over it and in a spice mill I ground up
3 tbls black peppercorns
1 tsp red pepper flake
2 Tbls corriander seed
1 Tbls pickling spice

I coarse ground it, then added
1 Tbls Paprika
1 Tso Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion powder

Then mixed all that very well and applied all over the entire brisket. Then because I have a sweet tooth applied a bunch of light brown sugar on the non-fatty side, the side facing up in the smoker. Into the smoker fat side down on the middle shelf.

When will it be done, well I guess being just under 3 pounds it will take about 5 1/2 hours, but I am cooking it like a BRISKET wanting a final internal temp of 195 so when I plunge my digital quick read probe in it slides thru like a stick of butter on a hot summer day. DONE WHEN IT'S DONE. After it thoroughly cools it's going in a freezer storage bag and into the freezer. I'm taking that corned beef and 2 slabs of applewood smoke baby backs when I go see my Mom in Chicago on Wednesday. I'll pull the product outta the freezer and into my suitcase it goes. I figure Wednesday night we can choose which to eat.

So let's say roughly 1 1/2 hours per pound. So in your case at about 3 hours check with a quick read digital thermometer, forget using a probe, and check all over. You get say 195 everywhere and the probe just glides in and out you hit the target. Foil and let rest a couple hours, then slice.

YUMMY GOODNESS
Ran my SM150 at 225 for 7 hours, at 3 hours I checked the corned beef and it was at 140, it stalled there for 2 hours, I pulled it when it was at 180, it's got a lovely bark. I double foiled it and let it rest until it was completely cooled, unnwrapped it and into a freezer zipper storage bag and into the freezer. Transporting it to Chicago Wednesday. There I will use a Reynolds Baking Bag with some sliced onions in the bottom, a cup of white wine and a packet of Lipton Onion soup. Slow cook it for about 90 minutes at 300 and then it should be fall apart tender with a great au jus to serve it with on buns. I watched a great video on YouTube on how Katz's Deli does pastrami, which is essentially what I have here, and remember from eating there. They keep their smoked pastramis in a broth bath/steam table to slice as needed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.