Skip to main content

Just smoked some raw almonds and are they goooood.
I'll never buy Smokehouse brand again.

I just put the almonds in a ziplock bag with some melted real butter and a bunch of Lawry's seasoning salt. Shook real well then put the nuts in a foil pan and smoked at 225F for 1.5 hrs with 1/2 oz of apple and 1/2 oz of hickory.
Needless to say I just ordered a 50# bag of nuts.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've done almonds several times. Even burned a batch once---that was a bummer. The others turned out great and I keep a rubbermaid container full of them in my freezer at all times for guests AND for family.

Instead of foil pans, I used perforated pizza trays that really allow the smoke to penetrate both sides of the nuts. I show them in a post on the CS/FE BB here. Check them out at

http://tinyurl.com/2v8lr
The recipe I've used for years includes soaking the nuts in your favorite hot sauce for about 1 hour. I like Tabasco, most any cayenne sauce, but especially the Tabasco jalapeno sauce. Drain the nuts, toss with a little oil, then add some salt flavor. Seasoned salt mixed with Old Bay seasoning in my favorite. 1-1 1/2 hours in the smoker. I know the hot sauce doesn't "soak" into the nuts, but it does add a pleasant heat crust.

I get lots of requests for these.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.