Skip to main content

OK, so I gave smoking fish a try for the first time in my SM025, the objective was smoked fish dip.

I started out with some Pacific Yellowtail, the thickest part of the fillets were 1-inch thick, maybe a touch more. No skin, it was processed and shipped to me that way from the processor...which is fine. I cut off all the really dark meat and the bloodline.

I wasn't sure if I should brine or not so I did the logical thing, I brined half of the fillets and not the other half Smiler

Brined for 8 hours in refrigerator, rinsed both the brined and non-brined with cold tap water, patted dry and put on oiled cooking rack, in fridge to air dry for about 3 hours untill shiny.

The plan was 2oz apple wood and cook at 170* until done (flaky).

Here are some observations and questions.

Dissapointed with the lack of smoke flavor. I don't believe more wood would have helped as the wood that was in there barely burned (yea, I had it over the bend in the heating element).

I think because the smoker temp ran up to 210* rather quickly and then the heat element shuts off until the temp drops far enough, it only smoked for a short time. Because the unit is so well insulated and fish finishes up pretty quick, the total cook time was 1-1/2 hours with the heat element only on about 2/3 of the time.

Other than wanting a stronger smoke flavor, the fish was cooked perfectly and my first attempt at smoked fish dip is pretty good but I want better! Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

you might try preheating the smoker at a higher temp to get the smoke going. When smoke is going then reduce the heat to around 190 and add the fish, allowing some time for the heat to release before closing the door. Also be sure to let the fish dry to form a good pellicle. Cooking fish at higher temps will contribute to the fat and protein oozing out onto the surface of the fillet.

Also, since you're going to be using as a dip, let te fish cool completely in the fridge overnight. This allow the smoke flavor to permeate the flesh for more smoke flavor.
Both good ideas...I was thinking about doing exactly what you mentioned next time about the pre-heat.

quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
you might try preheating the smoker at a higher temp to get the smoke going. When smoke is going then reduce the heat to around 190 and add the fish, allowing some time for the heat to release before closing the door. Also be sure to let the fish dry to form a good pellicle. Cooking fish at higher temps will contribute to the fat and protein oozing out onto the surface of the fillet.

Also, since you're going to be using as a dip, let te fish cool completely in the fridge overnight. This allow the smoke flavor to permeate the flesh for more smoke flavor.
Pellet "pack"? Tell me more about the packs. Where do you get them please?

That's a good tip. I want to try cold smoking sometime down the road (Lox, Cheese, Etc.). Sounds like I maybe should get some pellets and try them out for the low temp stuff.

I know the cold smoke thing is a bit trickier with the baffle, the turkey pan full of ice etc., but if the pellets smoke at a lower temp, seems like it might make the job that much easier for some limited applications.

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
I use the pellet packs with great success at lower cook temps.
Last edited by Former Member
Yep, understood.

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
The pellets in aluminum foil work well at lower temps, but you'd still be burning too hot for Lox or cheese. I believe you're still looking at the cold smoke baffle, the Amazing Smoker or some other device to have smoke and keep the temperature low enough for your endeavor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.