Hi all-

This post is slightly off topic, but in the many posts I see degrees posted as 225F, or 225*. Most computers will allow you to put in a degree symbol, as in, 225º, by holding down the alt key and typing 0186.

The only reason I'm posting this is that it took me a while to figure it out, and though it might be helpful.

If this is too off-topic, my feelings won't be hurt if it gets deleted!
Original Post
On my desktop,I can hold down the alt and go to the small numbers pad on the right of the keypad and type 167 for degree.

Being computer illiterate,this escapes me on my laptop.
Not that it really matters but Alt 0176 works was well... 225˚ The Alt 167 makes for just one less key to hit. Smiler
Tom, for laptops without a numeric keypad (like the one I'm currently using), go to start > run and type in charmap. Select and copy the ˚ symbol and paste into the text.
195º I'm impressed. I didn't know that, thank you.

P.S. And it works with Microsoft Word too. Hmmm, learn something new every day here at Cookshack.
I wonder why in the world they wouldn't include the degree symbol on the keyboard when they did include so many useless symbols?

Well, there are more symbols they didn't include, most are useless, that's why they're ALT:

Go down on the list and you'll see how to type in portions of a cup, such as:


Alt List

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.