Skip to main content

Now that I'm all but sure I'm going with the 045, I'd like some input on what bells and whistles I should consider going with.

1. rib rack - I've seen opinions that have stated pros and cons about cooking in a vertical position and I'm wondering if I could get some more user feedback on whether or not the rib rack is a "must have" regardless of whether you're cooking one slab or six, a nice addition, or not really necessary unless you're cooking up more slabs than the racks will accommodate.

2. Standard shelves vs. stainless steel upgraded shelves - what are the benifits of the ss shelves? Do they just clean up easier?

3. Anything else?

Thanks much
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't know what the upgrade would cost for the SS shelves but if reasonable it could be worth it. SS will last longer and the plating will ware off the others. You can always use skewers run thru rib to simulate a rib rack and don't have to be bothered with cleaning. I do have a rib rack but don't use it cause I don't like cleaning it.

Get yourself a set of Frogmats silicone mats; they come in hand for smoking all those small things like shrimp, wings, nuts, and work for a wrap for meatloaf. They are very versatile and clean up very easily.
I'm with morningflyer on the rib racks. I'd use them in a pinch, but I'd prefer to lay the ribs on the smoker shelves and have a larger smoker to do a larger batch of ribs, if given a choice.

Besides the uneven cooking when the ribs are vertical, I find I'm knocking off rub and/or sauce placing them in and out of the racks.
Jerky rods are cheap and useful but you can buy SS rod at a hardware store.

The 45 might come with 'rib hooks' but if not, I would get them instead of the rib racks.

The stainless racks are good. I had an 008 and wore the plating off the racks by being anal about clean up. When I switched to an 055 I also ordered the SS racks (not knowing there might have been an upgrade). Now I just stick the racks in the dishwasher so the original racks should last a long time. Haven't used the SS racks yet.

I would only get the cover if your 45 won't be under some sort of roof. My 55 is on a back deck and under an overhang that keeps snow and rain off of it. Don't need a cover.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.