Skip to main content

Or better yet, two at a time.
Bet it's been too long.
Well, I'm gonna show you a “No Fail” way.
This is taking Smokin' Okie's Cheesecloth Turkey to another level.

Ya gotta get things planned out, so that there will be no interruption.

Gotta get her all wet.

OOPS, gotta cool her off for a bit. Like 24 hours. LOL.

I know she is still wet, so ya gotta pat her dry.

And put her stockinettes on.

I can see this is getting over my head, so let's get to the finish.

Don't go there. LOL

On the plate with a Smoky Sweet Tater, Butter, Dark Brown Sugar and Cinnamon.
Got some of my Smoked Roadhouse Greens and Hot Vinegar to kick it up.

Oh yeah, forgot the money shot. MICKEY's to wash it down with.

Curing Brine

For every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Lemon Peel Granules
1/4 cup Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 Tbsp Cure #1 (Pink Salt)

Stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat.

Weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. Ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary, but generally overnight for pieces and 24 hours for whole chickens.

Rinse and pat dry.
Apply softened butter under the skin. (optional)

For the Chicken:
Smoker temp will be around 225° - 235°.
Baste with a mix of butter, Lemon Pepper (No Salt preferred) and Ground Red Pepper (optional)
Internal Temp in the breast will be 160°, thigh will be 170° or thereabouts when done.

Thanks for lookin'. Now go git her in the sack.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you Sir, for the kind words.
I bought some plastic nets also. Gonna try them on the next round. But they are gonna be hard pressed to beat the cotton on poultry.
May try them on a clod or a chuck roll, maybe a butt or shoulder?
We'll see how it tuns out and post the outcome.
Gunny I'm finally getting a around to posting the pics.
I basically followed your guide lines but rubbed the chickens with olive oil instead of using butter and used my own poultry seasoning and 2 oz. of Hickory wood.
I kept track of my time and as you can see it took quite a bit longer than expected.
Started with temp set to 235. After 4 hours I started increasing the temperature first to 245, an hour later to 250. 45 minutes later I increased to 300 which caused the chickens to have an internal temp of 170 after another 45 minutes. Rechecked the internal temp after taking it out the smoker to make sure the reading was correct.
Total time was 6 hours 15 minutes.
The chicken came out very nice with crispy skin. The meat wasn't dry at all and just cooked right.
I'm just wondering if the temperature of the smoker might be off so ended up buying a Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732.
Next time I use the smoker I plan to compare the temps reading from the smoker control and de Maverick and see if they match.
Thanks for your help
Maria-Anne

Attachments

Gunny
Let me know how it went and give me some idea of the weight and time.
I'm ordering my turkeys from a local turkey farm and had planned on smoking one of the turkeys this past year until I realized after reading on forums that you really couldn't smoke a 24 lb. turkey. To long in the danger zone internal temperature? Are there any other thoughts on that issue?
This year I modified my order to include some smaller birds so I'll see what I manage to get when I pick them up.
Have fun smoking and eating
Maria-Anne
Thanks Pags.
Maria Anne, I wouldn't put that big of a bird in a smoker. If you need 24# then get 2 12 pounders. It will just take it too long to get to temp. I don't even think I would cook one that big in the oven.
You're right Icubed, she could spatch it and have 2 12 pound halves. I was looking for the presentation like Russ has with his.
I generally to not get birds over 22 lbs. But because the turkey farmer was doing me a big favor by setting the birds aside and freezing them because I wasn't around during the Thanksgiving pickup time I ended up with 5 birds between 24 and 26 lbs. No problem cooking them in the oven, somehow still managed to fit them in the oven turkey bag and they were ready in four hours.
I wouldn't do this with a store bought bird who has been injected with all kinds of stuff and have far to much liquid coming out of them while cooking.
Spatchcock or splitting the bird does seem like an option when having nothing but a big bird.
G Que I'm curious how long your 28 lb turkey took and what temp you used?
Practice run for Turkey Day. 5-1/2# Turkey Breast and a 4-1/2# Chicken.
Sorry Russ, I didn't use your Holiday Brine, but I used your Poultry Rub. Good Stuff right there.
Both were brined 12 hours in 1 gallon of Water, 1 cup White Sugar, 1 cup Morton Kosher Salt and 1 Tbsp Cracked Rosemary.
I know it ain't my FEC-100, but I'm using FE Pellets!!! Wink

Chick on the left and Turkey on the right.

Look at all of that juice!

Chow time. Sourdough Stuffin, Southern Mixed Greens, Marshmallow Sweet Taters, Turkey and good ole gravy. It don't get no better than that.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
Thanks Pags.
When I first sliced it, I had no problem with the skin being tough. It wasn't crisp by a long shot.
Next day for leftovers, it was an inner tube. Big Grin
I just pulled it off and fed it to the dogs.
I removed all of the skin on the chicken after it cooled. It was rubber also. Pulled the meat and chopped it for chicken salad sammies and stuffed tomatoes. Those pics to follow.
I think a lot of my problem was that I couldn't get this smoker up to 325-350F like I can with the FEC.
I sure miss my baby.
Well I finally got around to trying a chicken in a ham bag today.

No time to brine so I marinated for 4 hrs in Italian dressing. Took the bird from the zip lock bag and into the ham bag without rinsing. Slathered the remaining dressing all over the chicken and into the 025 on the bottom rack.

Couldn't hang the bag from the vent hole because the 025 is too short.

Set smoker to 300, made a pouch of aluminum foil and placed 1.5oz of alder chips in the pouch and touched 'er off.

Two hrs later the probe says 170 and I took the bird out, and covered it with foil.

First time using a ham bag and first time using alder.

Bird came out great. The dressing-moistened ham bag acted like oil-soaked cheesecloth keeping the skin moist so it didn't shrink (much), and the color was dark golden brown.

I like the results using the ham bag. The bird was tightly wrapped in the bag and held its shape nicely. Makes for good presentation.

The alder gives a light smokey taste. I think it would be good for fish, but it was just OK for chicken.

Thanks for your innovative ham bag idea Gunny. I'll be cooking many a chicken this way in the future.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.