Skip to main content

As promised, ran a test of the grill level temperatures at various set points and attached the results.

Pellets: BBQer Delight Hickory
Indicator: Watlow 10 channel “J” type indicator, degree F
Probes: “J” type probes
Calibration: Melting Ice (32°F), simmering water (212°F)

All probes were within ±1°F of each other and the indicator was spanned and calibrated with the same criteria. Used three different type commercial food probes to verify readings.
Methodology: Placed probes in the locations as indicated; cycled setpoints, waited for control and then took readings.

Variables noted: Depending on whether the temperature was rising or falling made a difference in the reading. Also, the pellets falling into the fire pot affected the heat distribution. ie. piling to the back gave more heat on that side, etc.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Nordy. You are right, it is a bit confusing, but once you get the hang of the pellet drop, it makes more sense. But once the grill is there, it will be more clear.
Question: We were visiting with Eddy at the 50 year open house and he believes, if I understood him correctly, the temp swings will produce more smoke flavor. So applying that theory to the settings, have you found that to be valid?
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
yes...

I do buy into the "temp swings make smoke" theory. I've graphed both my FEC and my PG on a stoker and the "average" is right on with the set point.

If I "tighten" up the settings on my PG, I subjectively get less smoke...

I guess it's all subjective, but these are great pits...

I second this. Definitely can dial in how much smoke by temp swings. I've smoked a bunch of batches of almonds over the last couple of weeks and made a pound for my mom with lighter smoke by tightening up swings.

I have found you can almost over smoke things like chicken just like in the Sm models with high temp swings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.