Skip to main content

smoked 6 salmon filets this weekend. Used 3 to make a delicious smoked salmon spread.
Adapted the recipe from allrecipes.com.

16 oz cream cheese, softended
12 oz chopped smoked salmon
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped dill
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion

mix together well, chill and serve.

As far as the salmon-

brine:
4 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup Kosher Salt
5 tablespoons crushed garlic (I buy mine already crushed- much easier)

Placed about 1/2 brine in bottom of a vacuum bag (large and layed flat) topped with salmon filets, then covered the filets with the rest of the mixture, and vacuum sealed.

let set in the fridge overnight.

rinsed filets in cold water the next morning and air dried in the fridge for about 4 hours.

preheated smoker to 225 degrees with 2 ounces of cherry. Smoked for 45 minutes and allowed to set.

Mrs. Que'n not much of a salmon fan, but likes both the smoked salmon and the spread.

Moderators Note: I uploaded the photo to the Photo Sharepoint we use. More fun to see the photo without downloading:

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Que'n RN - this is delicious. I just got done making it. I made half the recipe for the amount of people I am serving. I had a piece of salmon left over (I really just wanted that piece of salmon to eat Big Grin). I am gonna continue to use this brining recipe as it was delicious, well, heavenly. I bought three smaller pieces packaged as the end (smaller parts) of the whole fillets. They were thin so I cut the smoking time to 40 min. And it went in when the oven wasn't fully preheated. It worked out perfectly because the very thin end of the pieces got a nice almost jerky feel to them and I bet it was similar to squaw candy. We love it.

Thanks so much for the recipes, I am betting the spread is gonna taste even better tomorrow when my company comes!
My spread didn't turn out as pink as Que'n RN's, but my salmon didn't have a rich color...farm raised. Next time I'll use Sockeye or something. Should look as good as it tasted.

We actually had the salmon spread for dinner with crackers and garlic cocktail toast...a little wine. A light red, Pinot Noir. Was perfect after a later lunch.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.