Skip to main content

I just may be leaving the DARK SIDE of the brisket FORCE forever.

Couple week ago I purchase an 8# flat for a small gathering last Saturday. The night before I injected with Butchers, quite thoroughly. The next morning I seasoned with a light dusting of rub, salt and pepper. Gave it an hour rest at room temp. Began the smoke at 9am at 225.

The goal was to finish the meat unfoiled. After coming out of the 170ish plateau around 3pm, I began temping an hour later --> 181. I used the Thermapen to test tenderness...it was sliding in and out pretty easily at the 181 mark. Let it go another hour and the Thermapin slid in and out with ease. Temp was 184. Scratched my head as I've never had a brisket finish at 184 but went ahead and FTC'd for an hour.

When I sliced, juices were abundant. The flavor was dead on. Only down side was that it "ate" like a 184 brisket...just a tad chewy. Everyone else said the tenderness was perfect. What do they know? Smiler

Next time around:
1. I'll cook a packer
2. It will remained unfoiled until FTC time
3. I'll take it to 196 and probe with something not quite as sharp ended as the Thermapin.

One other note, when I went to slice I was surprised by how little juices had escaped into the foil...maybe 1/4 cup. That explains why the meat was so juicy.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yea. I've always done mine without the foil until FTC afterwards. Have you done the brisket both ways and used the Butcher's Injection on both? My last brisket with Butcher's Injection and Prime Dust was the moistest (most moist) I've had.

Interesting. Your comment about it being a bit chewy but others thought it perfect. That's what these Cookshacks make us. Compliments abound. Surrounded by happy, pleased, satisfied eaters. And we know we can do better. We've become our own worst critics, but we're eating well. Let's remember to enjoy the harvest. Smiler
I've had two "Brisket 101" classes this spring, about 40 students.

In both classes I prepared two briskets.

Both seasoned the same way, cooked together. 1 I foiled at 170 and the other I left unfoiled.

100% of both classes preferred the non-foiled. The bark difference and the taste were the telling factors. I didn't tell the class the difference until after the tasting.

Key is that all the students thought foil was the only way to go but after tasting them side by side they changed their mind. They rated them both on tenderness and moisture and found the moisture the same but the flavor was better on the non foil.

Russ
Like Smokin' says,there is a place for many of our "tricks".Could be speed,flavor layering,holding,etc.

The newer cooks hear us talking of the specific use ,when we are specifically being "whores to the judges' table".

We know better,we know what tastes and eats better,we know where to trick a judge with one bite[when maybe being compared to a few lousy briskets/slabs of ribs].

Remember,I don't recall anyone saying judges were smarter,knew how to cook,knew what product should taste like. Frowner

We don't hear about good cooks going home and doing" tricks" on a case of briskets,or ribs.

Yet,a "trick the judge" stunt is like a virus ,when it hits the Internet.

Something to think about. Confused
Bandit, in checking the log file, the follow-up brisket was smoked Memorial Day weekend. It was a (post trim) 11.8 lb C.A.B. Choice packer. It was pulled at 194 and FTC'd for 2.5 hrs. My comments were: (on a scale of 1-10)
flavor 8.5
tenderness 9
moisture (juicyness) 7.5
The log comment I entered was "thought it was a tad dry but everyone loved it"

I don't know if you've seen my brisket "brown paper" posts. Lately I've tried wrapping in brown craft paper at the plateau, and taking them in paper to the finish line. The couple I've done that way have retained a bit more moisture.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.