Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have smoked some cheese this past summer/fall and we like it. I took a clean Penzoil box & cut a 6" round hole in the bottom. Then rigged up one of those disposable mesh grills (from Walmart) about 2/3's the way from the bottom of the box to hold cheese. I use 1x1's to hold the box off the top of the 008 and provide draft. Then the top flaps are used to regulate the smoke & temp in the box. I poked the tip of the Polder thru the box at grill level to monitor the temp. I used 1 hickory chunk and set the smoker on 225 until the smoke changed from yellow to white. Turn off the heat and put the box & cheese on top of the 1x1's on the 008. We found that after only 20 minutes, it produced cheese that was mildly smoked all the way to the center of a 2lb block. Used extra sharp cheddar & swiss. Did NOT like smoked colby! We also find it helps to mellow the cheese some of after smoking you let it linger in a sealed zip lock baggie for 24 hrs before slicing & eating.

Bob
Okay, it's not quite "Cheese 101" but it's a start.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

"draft" Cheese 101

You can cold smoke just about any cheese, my favorites are cheddar and mozzarella (or varieties close to this). In order to effectively smoke cheese it needs to be done at low temperatures. Most cheeses will start to change texture between 120 and 140 degrees. However it does not hurt the cheese to smoke at higher temperatures, you just need to be aware that it may melt and will not have the same texture once it cools.

The following guidelines will work for cold smoking cheese in a Cookshack Smoker Oven:

• Cut cheese into chucks that are not bigger than 3" thick. The larger the pieces the longer and harder it is to get the smoke flavor through the cheese.
  • You can wrap the cheese in cheese cloth, however I don't find any real advantage to this.
  • Remove the bottom grill of your smoker and replace with a Cookshack Cold Smoke Baffle.
  • Place pan of ice on top of baffle, the more ice the less problems you will have with the temperature rising above 120 degrees.
  • Place cheese on grills in smoker.
  • Wood: I recommend using sawdust pellets or chips for cold smoking. They will burn quicker, giving you more smoke faster, keeping the oven from getting hot. I personally like to use hickory or pecan for smoking cheese, however any of the hard fruit of nut woods will work. I recommend using about a cup of pellets or chips. If you are using chunks of wood, I recommend about 4 oz.
  • Put the wood in the wood box and close the door.
  • If you have a polder type thermometer or a meat thermometer drop it down the vent hole, so you can keep an idea on the temperature of the cooking chamber. We don't want it to get above 140 degrees.
  • Turn on your smoker and set the temperature to 225 degrees. It doesn't really matter what temperature you set the smoker at as you will not be heating up the cooking chamber.
  • Leave the smoker on for 15 to 20 minutes. You should see a steady stream of smoke coming out of the smoker around 12 to 15 minutes into the cycle. As soon as this happens turn the unit off. Do not leave the unit on for more than 25 minutes as if can damage your smoker and create a safety hazard.
  • After turning the smoker off, let it set for 1 hour. At the end of the hour check the cheese to see if it has enough smoke flavor. If not repeat steps 9 and 10. If you repeat steps 9 and 10 more than twice keep a close eye on the temperature of the cooking chamber. If it gets too hot, open the door and remove the cheese, allow the unit to cool and then start smoking again...

Here are some ideas for smoked cheese...

Smoked cheddar is great on crackers, sandwiches or just about anything you like cheese with. Smoked mozzarella is great on pizza and for bresheta (sp). Smoked pepper jack is good on crackers and to grate and stuff pork tenderloins with. I also like it on nacho's. While it is a little tricky to smoke, Velveeta is great smoked and used for dips.

I've got to add details about how to smoke without a cold smoke baffle, such as the "box" method we've discussed and Cadillac talks about.

Another option is to start the smoker, let the smoke start coming out, THEN put the cheese in and turn the smoker off. This method is a little tricky because you'll loose some smoke when you open the door, but it works and you loose some of that initial smoke "bitterness"
I didn't hear back from Smokin on using sawdust vs. pellets so I did what any red blooded Quer would do - used what I had (sawdust). I used a couple handfuls in the smoke box & used the cookshack baffle. Turned it on for 15 minutes & nice stream of smoke coming out. Shut it off & 10 minutes later no smoke so I turned it on for another 10 minutes & the smoke was coming out nicely again. While the cheese doesn't look like it's been smoked (not much brown color) it is pretty strong. Will the "potency" mellow with time? It's almost too strong right now.
Sorry didn't get back to you.

It doesn't have to be dark color to have smoke, as evidenced by your comment of too strong. Too me a good smoke cheese is subtle and may/may not take on a darker color. Depending on the cheese, it may/may not mellow out.

To smoke the cheese, keep good notes about how much wood/pellets/dust you're using and how long you're smoking. As you saw by your results, looks can't always tell.

Sawdust, because it burns quicker, can actually burn fast and get a good intense smoke out (that's what you want to do with this process) and probably caused some of your intense flavor. Not know all the specifics, cheese can be difficult because there are just too many variable. You might go with less sawdust next time, but weigh it so you know how much you used.
Here's what we did last week with EXCELLENT results.
2 pound blocks of cheese from Sams club.
We did
Swiss
Pepper Jack
Cheddar
And 2 types of Parmesan.
Cut the cheese blocks in 2 to let the smoke spread out a little better.
Started with the baffle on the shelf right above the element.
A disposable tray on the shelf right above the baffle. Put 4 trays of ice in the tray.

First smoke.
2 ounces of apple wood chips.
Turn element to 200 degrees just until the smoke starts out of the smoke hole.
Shut off heat.
Leave alone for 1 hour. The smoke will quit coming out the hole in about 30 minutes--don't open the door--it's still smoky inside.

Second smoke.
Opened the door, and let the heat dissipate for about 10 minutes.
Add 2 ounces Apple wood chips.
The tray was about 1/2 ice, and 1/2 water. Left it alone.
Heating element to 200.
Shut it off the minute you see smoke coming out of the hole.
Leave for 1 hour. Don't open the door for 1 hour!!!

3'rd smoke.
Opened the door let the heat dissipate for about 10 minutes.
Dumped the water/ice, and added 4 more trays of ice.
Added 2 more ounces of apple wood chips.
Element to 200.
The minute you see smoke--shut it off.
Leave alone for 1 hour. Don't open the door for 1 hour!!

At this point we removed the cheese from smoker, and let stand in the kitchen for about 2 hours wrapped in foil.
The cheese had a little "sweat" on it, and had a light brown film on it. After a 2 hour rest--we wiped the cheese off with paper towels.
I was a little dissappointed in it when we sampled it that day.
Let it set overnight in the refrgerator, and next morning -- a completely different taste.
This is the best smoked cheese I have ever eaten!!!
The Pepper Jack is OUTSTANDING on a ham sandwich, or cracker!!!
The cheddar is gone already--on crackers--it is amazing!!
Tried some of the parmesan shredded into an omelet, and I'll be smoking all my parmesan from now on. Totally changes the flavor of it.
I was really amazed how far into the cheese the smoke penetrated. it went in to the middle, with no bitter taste! I really recommend wiping it off after it sets for 2 hours. Kind of ruined the "smoked look" but I think that film is bitter!
One thing I will throw in here--I'm convinced that smoking cheese is a winter time activity.
This first load we smoked--the outside temp was around 45 degrees. The temp in the smoker eventually climbed to around 90Degrees. (Polder Probe through the smoke hole)
The load I have in today is on its 3'rd smoke, and the temp is 60 in the smoker. Outside temp is 11 degrees. 10 minutes with the door open really seems to be cooling it off.
One more suggestion!!
Go to Wallmart, or Target, and buy a cheese slicer. We got one for $6 that you just drag on the cheese, and it slices it off. Kind of like a wood plane. Makes it a whole lot nicer to slice, and that thin slice goes excellent on crackers.
If you need any help--let me know--Believe me--I always thought smoked cheese was what you got from Hickory Farms--this stuff is NOTHING like that. IT IS AWESOME!!
A few more things on the above post.
I'm no Smoking expert, but I really believe wrapping it in foil for 2 hours when you take it from the smoker helps "drive" the smoke into the cheese.
Also--don't be too dissapointed when you sample it the first day--WIPE IT OFF REALLY WELL-wrap in new foil, and let it set in the fridge overnight. For some reason--that makes a big difference!! Totally different taste comes around in a day or two.
One more thing to remember--you can store it for a LONG time in the fridge---ziplock bag--if it gets a little mold--it won't hurt you--slice off the mold, and the cheese is still good.
Sounds gross but it is true of cheese. I don't think it will last that long though!!
melt some wax to a temp of 180 degrees and redip the cheese in it. This aids in mold prevention.

i dont know if this pertains to smoked cheese since there has been a temperature change, but by rewaxing your cheese it will continue to age n your refrig.

I love making cheese. Look forward to smoking some of my own next spring when there's some that has aged for a while. Or I may make gouda which only ages 30 days. that way I can smoke it during the winter when there's nothing else to do!
Smokin'
Thanks to you and Debrajo! Had a big ole cheese tray at the house and the only kind we ran out of was the smoked pepperjack! So I guess it passed the test.
The gouda I did I am saving for a friend.
Picures? I wished I had thought of that yesterday. That pepperjack was purdy. Maybe next time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.