Skip to main content

Just wanted to post some ideas out there for anyone interested in collecting BBQ books. Here's a post from the old Cookshack forum:

Anyone care to comment about my top ten list, feel free to add to the list.
Anyone bought any "new" books this year not listed below, I haven't seen a good new one for a year or two.
Thanks for your comments.
smokin'

1. Smoke and Spice : Cooking With Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue, on Your Charcoal Grill, Water Smoker, or Wood-Burning Pit Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison / Paperback / Published 1994
  2. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces : 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas Paul Kirk / Hardcover / Published 1997
  3. The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook : Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore Hardcover / Published 1997
  4. The BBQ Bible by Steve Raichlen
  5. Bar-B-Que, Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q : Booklet Carolyn S. Wells / Paperback / Published 1991
  6. Kansas City Bbq Pocket Guide Ardie Davis / Published 1992
  7. John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q : Over 150 Recipes and Tall Tales for Authentic, Braggin' Rights, Real Southern Bar-B-Q and All the Fixin's John Willingham / Hardcover / Published 1996
  8. Smokestack Lightning : Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country Lolis Eric Elie, Frank Stewart (Photographer) / Paperback / Published 1997
  9. Sublime Smoke : Bold New Flavors Inspired by the Old Art of Barbecue Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison / Hardcover / Published 1996
  10. The Thrill of the Grill Chris Schlesinger, et al / Paperback / Published 1997

------------------
Smokin Okie
It's done when it's done

[This message has been edited by SmokinOkie (edited February 20, 2001).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Smokin' Okie,

The list of books is great!! But there is one that is not on the list.

Cookshack Smoked Foods Cookbook, Volume 1 first published in 1995, paperback.

By the way you can probably tell by my user name I work for Cookshack.. I work with Donna in Norman.

Looking forward to the UBB going live this week.

Terry

Lot's of great recipes.
I think that's one by Bjorkman. I've tried a few.

One of the things I want to get going in this forum for 2001 is people to tr new sauces and rubs instead of the commercial.

They are so much better.

If you make any, always get the best spices you can. they do make a difference.

------------------
Smokin Okie
It's done when it's done
Cookshack BBQ Guide Page

[This message has been edited by SmokinOkie (edited March 03, 2001).]
Yeah, tom, I saw a post over in bbqsearch about submitting recipes. But I wasn't impressed when they said "if you submit a recipe you'll be entered in a drawing for a chance to get a copy of the book". Hey if you submitted a recipe you ought to be given a copy.

I ordered Chef Paul's book yesterday at Amazon. I'll give it a "review" when I get it.

Anyone else got any books?

Tom, how about a review of your book you suggested, do you have Vol. 1?

------------------
Smokin Okie
It's done when it's done
Cookshack BBQ Guide Page

[This message has been edited by SmokinOkie (edited March 08, 2001).]
Hey Smokin'!!

My personal favorite is

Barbecuing & Sausage-Making SECRETS by Charlie and Ruth Knote.

It is so much more than a BBQ book..it not only has a bunch of recipes but also the science of the meats and a great section on sausage-making.

They also have some fun exploding many of the myths surrounof food!
Here is another book that would go great out on your coffee table.I have spent 30 years tracking down Q joints around the country so it has a lot nostalgia to it. The title is"Barbecue America-A Pilgrimage in search of America's Best Barbecue",by Rick Browne and Jack Bettridge.The authors are serious cookoff competitors and have both judged at most of the nation's top contests.The book documents most of the country's premier events and visits Texas to work with four top pitmasters.It is a story of characters as much as events and cooking.Its a treasure of pictures of many great Q joints,contests,and over a hundred recipes.It was $25 hardbound and now Walmart has the spiral bound for $9.
You should at least look at a hardbound copy,if you have the chance.

------------------
Good Q 2 Ya,Tom.
Updated the list, care to comment:

1. Smoke & Spice : Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
    by Cheryl Alters Jamison, et al (Paperback - May 1994) 155832061X
    2. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces : 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas
    by Paul Kirk (Paperback - December 1997)
    3. The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook : Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore (Hardcover)
    4. The Barbecue! Bible
    by Steven Raichlen (Paperback - June 1998)
    5. John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q : Over 150 Recipes and Tall Tales for Authentic, Braggin' Rights, Real Southern Bar-B-Q and All the Fixin's
    by John Willingham (Hardcover - May 1996)
    6. Sublime Smoke : Bold New Flavors Inspired by the Old Art of Barbecue
    by Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison(Contributor) (Paperback - May 1996)
    7. Barbecue America : A Pilgrimage in Search of America's Best Barbecue
    by Rick Browne, Jack Bettridge (Hardcover - April 1999)
    8. Barbecuing and Sausage Making Secrets : How to Buy Beef, Pork, Poultry, Lamb, Fish and Sausage by Charlie Knote
    9. The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual
    by Hale Smoky, et al (Unbound)
    10. The Great Barbecue Companion : Mops, Sops, Sauces, and Rubs
    by Bruce Bjorkman (Paperback - March 1996)
    11. COOKSHACK SMOKED FOODS COOKBOOK Over 190 Recipes for Authentic Pit Barbecues and Gourmet Wood-Smoked Foods
    by Running Press(Editor), Editors at Cookshack (Paperback)
    12. The All American Barbecue Book by Rich Davis, Shifra Stein
    13. The Jack Daniels Old Time Barbecue Cookbook by Vince Staten (Hardcover - April 1995)
    14. Finger Lickin, Rib Stickin, Great Tasting Barbecue
    by Jane Butel (Paperback - September 1982)
    15. Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes
    by Steven Raichlen, Ron Tanovitz(Illustrator) (Paperback - May 2000)
    16. Where There's Smoke, There's Flavor : Real Barbecue--The Tastier Alternative to Grilling [Paperback] By: Richard W. Langer
    17. SMOKE IT! 100 Succulent Recipes to Revolutionize Your Cooking
    by Paul Kirk (Hardcover)
    18. North Carolina Barbecue : Flavored by Time
    by Bob Garner (Hardcover - September 1996)
    19. The Best Recipe: Grilling and Barbecue [Hardcover] By: Editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine
    20. Ribs : A Connoisseur's Guide to Barbecuing and Grilling
    by Christopher B. O'Hara, et al (Hardcover - November 2000)
    21. The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce Cookbook
    by Jim Auchmutey, Susan Puckett(Contributor) (Hardcover - May 1995)
    22. The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger, et al (Spiral-bound - May 1997) ISBN: 0811816729
    23. Barbecued Ribs, Smoked Butts, and Other Great Feeds (Knopf Cooks American Series) by Jeanne Voltz (Paperback - April 1996)
    24. Bar-B-Que, Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q : Booklet by Carolyn S. Wells (Paperback - November 1991)
    25. Kansas City Bbq Pocket Guide by Ardie Davis This title is out of print.
    26. Smokestack Lightning : Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country
    by Lolis Eric Elie, Frank Stewart(Photographer) This title is out of print.
    27. Uncle Billy's Downeast Barbeque Book : Adventures in Barbeque by Jonathan St. Laurent, Charles Neave (Paperback - April 1992)
    28. All About Bar-B-Q Kansas City Style by Rich Davis (Paperback - March 1997)
    29. Memphis Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Que, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q by Carolyn S. Wells (Paperback - September 1991)
    30. The Great Australian Barbecue. Bay Books, 1991
    Other Good books to Have
    31. The Cook's Illustrated Complete Book of Poultry by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated (Hardcover - August 1999)
    32. The Complete Meat Cookbook: A Juicy and Authoritative Guide to Selecting, Seasoning and Cooking Today's Beef, Pork, Lamb and Veal by Bruce Aidells, Denis Kelly (Hardcover)
    33. Grilling For Dummies(r)
    by Marie Rama, John F. Mariani (Paperback - April 1998)
    34. Tequila : The Book
    by Ann Walker, et al (Paperback - June 1994)
    35. Sauces and Salsas
    by Oded Schwartz, Ian O'Leary(Photographer) (Hardcover - October 1999)
    36. The Complete Book of Spices : A Practical Guide to Spices and Aromatic Seeds
    by Jill Norman
    37. The Ultimate Grill Book/Ringbound by Sunset Books Editors, Sunset Magazine Editors
    38. Char-Broil Grill Lovers Cookbook, Char-Broil, 1985
    39. Grill Indoors and Outdoors, Easy Home Cooking Press, Pamphlet, June 2000

Nice list. Are these listed in order according to how good you rate them? I can only buy about 5 or 6 books and I already have John Willingham's Hardcover. So, what 5 books out of that list would you say I should buy? I mainly want recipes for rubs, sauces, marinades, mops etc. I do not care if the books have fancy pictures and crazy gourmet stuff (that is a waste of space in my opinion). I don't want to spend more than about $50-75 for 5 more books. I prefer paperback to keep down the cost even though hardcover books probably last longer. Thanks.
Actually Woodking, I was posting an new post to get exactly that input and I'm having a REAL hard time with a new post...must be operator error.

In the meantime, what specifically are you wanting help with (as you can see from the list, some are pretty specific).

General help?
Beef?
Smoking in General/specific?
Pork?
Sauce,rubs, etc.

Just Smokin'
yeah, I can't even make a post anymore, now there isn't even an invisible one, just nothing at all.
Like I said before, I am mainly wanting recipes for dry rubs, sauces, marinades, mops etc. These are for all meat categories.

[This message has been edited by woodking (edited May 28, 2001).]

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.