Skip to main content

I followed instructions this time. Used Stuart's recipe for prime rib roast and it pleased our guest and us. Our added temperature and serving is added to the bottom.

Stuart's Prime Rib

Rub rib with following rub:

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried rosemary

2 tablespoons course ground black pepper

2 tablespoons kosher salt

Let rib sit overnight with rub. Remove woodbox from smoker and preheat to 250 degrees(takes about 35 minutes).

Put 4 fresh twigs of rosemary and 1 clove of gralic in woodbox. Put woodbox and rib in smoker.

Smoke/cook at 250 for 12 minutes per pound.

After cook time, turn oven to 140 and hold for a min. of 4 hours.

Note: Open the oven door for a few minutes to bring the temp down to 140 more rapidly.

We used two 3 lb boned rib roast. Used four hours to let the rub set in. Our guest wanted end pieces and well done, so we placed a polder probe in their roast and when the internal temperature got to 135 degrees we removed our roast, foiled and placed it in the cooler. When their roast got to 170 degrees we divided both roast and ate the best any of us had ever eaten. Ours was medium-rare and theirs - UH! somewhere between well done and incinerated. Roll Eyes

I was surprised that I needed no additional wood in the wood box. The roast was not overpowered with flavors that took away from the meat.

smokemullet
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.