Skip to main content

I just received my first CS, a Smokette Elite (bought this size so it will fit into a storage bay on my RV...) I tried to season it last night and had two issues; it immediately tripped the GFI and once I moved it to a non-GFI outlet it fired up to 235 degrees when set to 200. I called CS this morning and learned two things that would be very handy in the manual and I didn't see this info on any older posts (yes, I searched first!)

1. According to the gentleman I spoke with, some of the heating elements have residual moisture from the manufacturing process. This is what causes the immediate GFI trip. He indicated that I should run it for at least two hours on a non-GFI outlet to dry it out. I did so and it works like a charm now on GFI outlets.

2. I was worried that the thermostat was way off due to the discrepancy between displayed temp and programmed temp. He also informed me that the Elites have logic in them to run the heating element for 20 minutes when first powered on. This causes them to potentially climb above the programmed temp at first but then they will settle down. Again, I tried it first thing this morning and it does exactly that.

I also do like the indicator on the display ("dot" in the lower right corner) letting you know when it is powering the element.

Scott
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good to know, that's something that has been discussed on the forum.

The smoke runs hot to get the wood started, so we always recommend not to monitor the temps on a min by min but give it time to start and then stabilize.

As CS doesn't monitor the forum, did you happen to mention to him that information wasn't in the manual?
Thanks Scott, The GFI problem was something that I was not aware of. I'm sure this info will come in handy for another new owner.

Some of us that have had run-ins with the warmup period have learned that you can open the door to dump heat, because if the smoker is already heated up and you turn off or unplug then start the operation from that point. 235* will look like a small number.

I just make sure smoke is coming out in 10-15 min and DON'T worry about what the temp says, the meat doesn't seem to concerned.

Oh, make sure you don't leave it plugged in when not in use, there is threads on this also.

Congrats on the new smoker, your gonna love it!
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Oh, make sure you don't leave it plugged in when not in use, there is threads on this also.

Yep, found that out last winter, smoked some ribs and left it outside and plugged in. I usually bring it in after a couple of hours, but forgot. Snowed that night, in the morning was a couple inches of snow on the ground. We had a power glitch and when I looked outside a couple hours later noticed all the snow had melted around the smoker. It turned itself back on after the power glitch. Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by Scott E:
I just received my first CS, a Smokette Elite (bought this size so it will fit into a storage bay on my RV...) I tried to season it last night and had two issues; it immediately tripped the GFI and once I moved it to a non-GFI outlet it fired up to 235 degrees when set to 200. I called CS this morning and learned two things that would be very handy in the manual and I didn't see this info on any older posts (yes, I searched first!)

1. According to the gentleman I spoke with, some of the heating elements have residual moisture from the manufacturing process. This is what causes the immediate GFI trip. He indicated that I should run it for at least two hours on a non-GFI outlet to dry it out. I did so and it works like a charm now on GFI outlets.

2. I was worried that the thermostat was way off due to the discrepancy between displayed temp and programmed temp. He also informed me that the Elites have logic in them to run the heating element for 20 minutes when first powered on. This causes them to potentially climb above the programmed temp at first but then they will settle down. Again, I tried it first thing this morning and it does exactly that.

I also do like the indicator on the display ("dot" in the lower right corner) letting you know when it is powering the element.

Scott

I had the same problem and it was quite disheartening. But between the forum and calling CS I worked throught it.

Smoked a 9.70# PB for 16hrs for company over the weekend and everyone agreed it was the best PB they ever ate.

I just set the temp on my SM025 for 225 and walk way. I check and log the time and temp throughout the cook but never make any adjustments.

What a smoker!

SmokinMAINEiac
Got the same problem as well. Plugged the unit on an indoor outlet and let it run for a couple of hours. Then switched back to the GFI plug and everything appears to work.

I was amazed by the amount of smoke generated by those 2 chunks of wood. Now I am ready for the real thing, that is cook meat instead of air.

How do you clean the oven. I know we want to keep it seasoned but this thing is going to be a bit messy?
Cover the heat shield and bottom of the smoker with heavy duty aluminum foil. makes cleanup a lot easier. Remember to poke a hole in the bottom for the drain. I changed mine every few smokes. Grates should fit in the dishwasher. For the sides, just grab an old credit card or plastic scraper and scrape the crud off the sides and top every few months.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.