Skip to main content

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I've just desided to go with a Cookshack smoker and will be ordering a 009 series I think. Know I'm looking at the 50 for size. I'm just a family of 4 and want to entertaine sometimes with a total of 10-12 people (once or twice over the summer) Can I get by with the smoket or should I talk my wife into the bigger one?

Louie
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've cooked for crowds of over 150 with my 008 in two loads. You can fit 4 big pork butts and a big brisket in at once without a problem. That's 75 - 80 servings per load.

Some people are squeamish about filling their Smokette to capacity for whatever hallucination. If that's you, then cook 2 butts and a brisket at once. That's 45 - 50 servings.

Also, I buy the biggest butts and briskets I can find. The big 9+ lb butts fit fine side-by-side, though the 14+ lb briskets require the cram and slam method to get them in, though they shrink to fit during the cooking process.
I've cooked for a party of 10 with an 008. It just takes a little more planning but that would be true of an 055 too I think. For one thing, you may be cooking different meats and wouldn't want to cook them together necessarily.

For pulled pork, you can cook that ahead of time if you want. Or have it finish earlier in the day of the feast and then put the ribs on for a 5 or 6 hr cook. Brisket could be done at the same time as the butts but might have to stay in longer. In any event, it is not a problem to cook for large groups with an 009.
I like my 009 the only thing that I am going to get is the five rack system because doing the larger buts the racks are too close so with the 5 rack system you can put a rack on the bottom and one on the second from the top this makes for better spaceing. Plus and you can use all five for ribs

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.