Skip to main content

Well after making several different types of sausage, I figured I would make a go of Andouille for Red Beans and Rice and Jumbalya. I checked a bunch of different recipes and came up with an original of mine. The first Pics are of a 16# batch "drying" in the smoker before the smoke. It was in the mid 40's today so I figured it would be better to cure/dry outside.

More photos to come as the process continues, this photo is after SEVERAL hours of work, i.e. deboning butts, cutting up into large chunks and adding seasoning and cure and allowing to sit overnight in the refridgerator. Next day grinding, mixing, and stuffing.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, I finished 'em last night. I put about 4 1/2 oz. hickory and pecan in the smoke box. I started with the cold smoke plate in at 130 for 3 hrs, then to 140 for an hour and a half, then to 160 for an hour and a half, then took the cold smoke plate out and upped the temp to 180 for about 1 hr. After I took the sausage out, I rinsed in cold water to cool and hung for about 1 1/2 hours to allow the sausage to bloom. Into the fridge overnight and this is how they turned out.

Here is the recipe if you are interested. I will try to post pictures of a cut piece to show how pink and how large and "chunky" good andouille should be (imho), like the better stuff is in south Louisiana!

Andouille Sausage Recipe
Per 5# Pork Butt Cut into pieces small enough to fit into grinder (plus 3/4 # additional pork fat)
2 tsp of Cayenne
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Coarse Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp dried Thyme leaves
1/2 tsp ground mace
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 tsp #1 Cure
1/2 Cup Ice Water
1/3 cup Soy Protein concentrate powder as a binder (do not pack)

Mix all ingredients (except soy protein concentrate) and allow to sit in refrigerator at least overnight and up to 2 days. Grind all fat, fatty meat and 1/2 to 2/3 meat through 1/2" (12mm) grinding plate. Grind rest of lean meat through 3/4" (20mm) grinding plate. Add Soy protein concentrate to 1oz of addtional ice water per pound of meat and mix with ground meat. Mix until primary bind is achieved (2-4 minutes or until sticky). Stuff into 38-42 mm natural hog casings or beef middles (not edible as hog casings are) if larger diameter is preferred. Allow to dry until a pellicle is achieved before smoking. Start smoke at 130 degrees for 2-3 hrs, raise temp to 140 for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, then to 160 for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs and then to 180. Smoke until internal temp is 155-160 degrees. Remove from smoker and rinse with cold water to cool. Blot dry and hang in cool area for 1 -3 hrs until dry and proper bloom (color) is achieved. Place in refrigerator overnight and then package and freeze.
Last edited by mike4258
quote:
Originally posted by sparkysbq:
After trying it would you modify your recipe?

A BIG no, spot on. Cook a small sample before you stuff to make sure your seasoning is as you like it, don't put too much cayenne on the front end as everything you cook with it will be too hot. This recipe is about right. As soon as I finish this batch, I will make another. I put a little too much smoke on the first batch, so I will smoke a little less. All recipe's say put as much smoke as you can on the andouille, BUT they are NOT using a CS.... LOL. A couple of tips, let dry COMPLETELY before you smoke and hang for 2-3hrs (or more) to let the sausage "bloom" before you put into refrigerator. Let it dry in the refrigerator at least overnight before you vac pack. Remember, andouille is a cooking sausage, for red beans, sausage and rice, jumbalaya, etc.... HOWEVER, I like to slice in half length wise, heat it up just a little and put it on good LA french bread with hot sauce.
Just thought I'd toss out another excellent use for andouille--chicken and andouille gumbo! I've still got a few servings left from a big potful I made recently.

I like to smoke and debone the chicken (dividing it into spoon sized pieces), add grill marks to the andouille (also bite sized), and sometimes add shrimp (near the end) for another layer of flavor and texture.

Nothing like a good cold snap to trigger my gumbo cravings, but some folks love it anytime, and it freezes well, too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.