Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've cooked sturgeon a number of times on the stovetop/oven combo, but never in a smoker. Sturgeon is NOT like salmon or trout. It is much denser and, when cooked, is akin to veal more than fish.

Unlike salmon, you don't want to eat it cooked medium rare on down. Medium to medium-well is fine.

In trimming up sturgeon make sure to trim off ALL the dark brown or reddish brown meat. It contains a lot of blood and is the only part of the fish which is fishy. and it is VERY fishy.

I would NOT want to risk somebody's sturgeon on a first cook, unless the "friend" is truly a friend and knows you guys are gonna give it your best shot.

At that point I'd put it in on the smoke setting for an hour, crank it to 350-400 for 20 minutes and then open the door and give it a fork test. If it flakes and is cooked to the middle, she's done.

Let us know if you try it, and how it comes out. Nobody seems to have posted anywere about sturgeon here or at KCBS.

Kerry
I did the sturgeon and it came out great. Made a marinade of brown sugar, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, soy sauce, garlic salt, lemmon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hickory powder, salt and pepper, and orange juice.
Set the pit on smoke (125*) for 2.5 hours.
Then up to (275*) for another 1.5-2 hours.
Some pieces were cut thicker than the others. The guy offered to pay me, but I said the first time is free. Next time we can talk money. Now, he wants to buy some pork and brisket. Might as well let the FE pay for itself.
Thank you Eddy Big Grin Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.