Skip to main content

OK, I know this is nothing for some of you guys, but I was asked to prepare some BBQ for our church banquet. 58 LBS of Butts and 19 LBS of brisket. Here's the timeline. DAY ONE: 1800hrs: Rub all meat and place in individual zip lock backs (weighted and labeled)
DAY TWO 2000: All meat on a preheated FEC 100. Set for 180 for six hours, 248 until complete.
DAY THREE: 0500: check on meat: all is fine.
DAY THREE: 1000, Spin all racks. Move top to second, second to bottom and bottom to second. Brisket is on third rack and just gets spun.
DAY THREE: 1400: Baste all with a mop mixture
DAY THREE: Baste again
DAY THREE: Pull all meats, double wrap in foil and place in my preheated cooler
DAY THREE: 1800, pull butts, slice brisket. All product is still Too hot to handle.
DAY THREE: 1830: Serve 85 people utilizing four butts, two briskets and 7 pounds of homemade Rib Sticks (basically smoked ground lean pork with a little maple flavoring and smoked to perfection. Served in BBQ sauce .
Everyone loved the BBQ. Also, see photo storyboard attached.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • cook
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I liked the thick Rub I put on. I put a lite base of kosher salt on all the meats prior to the mustard (on butts) and honey mustard (on briskets) before I put cook shack rub on them. I'd probably lighten the salt a little. No one complained, in fact I don't know if they tasted it, they were swallowing it so fast. I did mop them the last three hours with basically a Apple juice, RW vinegar, BBQ sauce mixture, it think it helped. The brisket was overdone, so were the butts. I'd pull the butts next time at 200, and the briskets at about 185, cooler them and let them set for about four hours prior to serving. I think I’d get the extra 5-7 degrees out of the situation and would tenderized everything well. My overcooking did burn a lot of the extra fats off the butts. They were already pretty lean, some the leanest I've seen. I was worried about the product getting too cold, when actually the reverse was true. The cooler will really hold the meat for a long time.
Next big cook will be 40 racks (about 3 Lbs each)of SL Ribs on the 22nd. I found a restaurant that will order them for me, cut the tips off and just charge me 1.71 a pound for the SLs. I’ve read the previous posts about it taking longer. I have to serve about 1130. So I think I’ll get them on by 5am.
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
... I'd pull the butts next time at 200, and the briskets at about 185, cooler them and let them set for about four hours prior to serving.

Man would say that 200 is still high for PB but barely. 195 to 200 max, less if you're going to hold them in mass, say 195 max

185 won't give you sliceable brisket, it will still be tough.

Problem with large cooks is trying to cook on temp alone. It's just a guide, not the end mark.

I'd learn the poke and prod method of testing and feeling for resistence.

You'll get there. Do you have the rib racks? 40 is the max it can do.
the key on such a FULL load with ribs is to know where the hot spots are on the smoker.

In "general" is the back left corner as the air flow seems to go back there from the fire, up and over. Put the thick end of the rack back there.

What temp are you doing them at?

Also, make SURE to have the smoker level. That many ribs will put out some grease.

Good luck buddy, that's a HUGE test, doing such a big load on pressure never having done it. I'll help if I can.

Maybe post a new topic, "full load of ribs" and see how others have done it?
Plan on cooking them at 275. I'm thinking of pre-heating the FEC to around 350 for about 30 min before I dump the load in to give the smoker a chance. My big meat load this weekend went in a warmed up smoker at 180 and dropped down to 100. I was back on target in 30 min. I'll start a post about the timeline. I plan on starting the Smoker at 430, ribs in at 5 and serving at 1130. We'll see. I hate to get up so early, but the smoker will be at work and I have to prep them there.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.