6 eggs
2 Tbsp Steak seasoning
4 Oz Ketchup
4 Oz “Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive” BBQ Sauce
2 Oz Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub
1 cup Quick Oat
8 Oz Cheddar Monterey Jack cheese
1 Chunk of hickory

I set the cook temperature set for 225⁰ and the temp probe to 165⁰ and started the AmeriQue up at roughly 5:00 PM.

At 8:30 they were done

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Use used the URL code instead of IMG code as Tn said.

Inside your post, select the little link that looks like a picture. When that pops up, copy the code TN mention, the image link, not a URL link.

the codes are pretty simple but most people don't see them with the buttons available, but you will see them in your actual post (anytime of which you can edit).

The word [IMG] has to be in bracket,
then the link
then the end [/img] with the slash.

In your post I see URL and "a ref" where are both ways to link to a web page, just not show the image.
Thanks for the help. I must have been really tired last night, I didn’t notice how screwed up my post was. That’s what I like about this site. The help and advice are second to none I have seen anywhere. Big Grin

This meatloaf goes over so well I wasn’t fast enough to get pictures when it was cut up. Maybe next time I’ll breakout my meat mixer and do 20 lbs worth.

I have done meatloaves many times in my Smokette and AmeriQue trying to tweak it to where I really want it. I have used several different grinds of meat, several types of crackers, several types of bread, and oatmeal. I have come to prefer plain old 85% hamburger with a touch of oatmeal. The rest is just for variations, maybe a little jalapeño, cheese, or BBQ sauce.
I once tried using a wire basket/pan to get that "traditional" meatloaf shape. Problem was the meatloaf stuck so badly to the wire basket it came out in pieces - still good flavor, but the "presentation of the meal" flopped. Next time I think I would try just placing on HD foil sheet or maybe homemade foil "pan" with holes poked in the foil. I suppose a lot depends on how wet or dry the meatloaf mixture is to start with. I used Karen H.'s recipe from a previous CS Backyard BBQ Newsletter, which is a moist recipe - but very tasty indeed.
OK. I tried the recipe Chef-Boy-Arnie presented above because it looked just too good to pass up. I followed his recipe as close as I could
with some variations. Instead of 6 lbs of gound beef, I use 4.5 lbs of ground beef and 1.5 lbs of garlic, basil sausage. I didn't have the
jalapenos, so I left them out. I didn't have the Quick Oats, so I used bread crumbs. I also threw in some pepper, greek oregano, and
some additional garlic granules. Mixed all the ingredients thoroughly and formed 2 loaves. Once I made the two meatloaves, I applied
a 50/50 mixture of ketchup and blackberry wine barbecue sauce to the top and sides of each loaf.

I threw them into a 225* preheated smoker with three small chunks of hickory (4 oz). After 2 hrs. I kicked the smoker up to 275* (seemed like a good idea). After 30 minutes, I pulled the meat loaves at 158* internal (wife won't eat pink hamburger).

Let them sit on the counter for 30 minutes and sliced one of them up. They were fairly firm (not loose), fairly moist and very tasty. My wife, who didn't want me to smoke meatloaf, thought they were delicious. They had a light smoke flavor that wasn't overpowering. Must admit I thought the 6 eggs were a bit much when I started this, but it turned out great.

Thanks Chef-Boy-Arnie for the recipe and the inspiration (And TN Q from last year's post on the subject). My wife always makes the meat loaf, and this was my first effort. I'll be doing this again. Cool Meat loaf sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night.
I decided to smoke another meatloaf since the last one turned out so well, and since I made a variation on Chef Boy Arnie's recipe, I decided to tag onto his thread instead of starting a new one.

I wanted to try something a little different by making the meatloaf with ground beef and sausage. A few different ingredients and wound up with something quite tasty. I made 2 good sized loaves so I could vac seal one and freeze it for a later time. Here's the recipe:

3 lbs mild Italian Sausage (loose)
3 lbs ground beef-93% lean (lean cause of sausage)
2 medium onions (coarsely chopped)
2 Tbsp minced garlic (I like garlic)
4 eggs
2 Tbsp Canadian Steak seasoning
4 oz ketchup
4 oz Billy Bones Barbecue Sauce (any you like)
2 oz Shelby Grill beef rub (local-use your own)
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
8 oz 4 cheese mix

Mix the ingredients thoroughly, form into 2 loaves, and place them on a single broiler/cookie type sheet with holes in it so the smoke can get to the underside of the meatloaf and fat drippings can escape. Throw the sheet with the loaves into a 235* preheated smoker (3.5 oz wild cherry wood or your choice) for 1.5 hours.

Remove the meatloaves from the smoker and coat the top/sides with Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue Sauce (or sauce of your choice) and place back into the smoker until the meatloaf internal hits 150*. Remove the meatloaves from the smoker, let them set for 15 minutes, place them onto a regular cookie sheet (to keep your oven clean from meatloaf drippings), and then throw them into a 400* preheated oven for apprx 20 minutes to set the outside of the meatloaves. Remove, rest for 10 minutes, and slice.

Here's a couple pics of the finished product.

They turned out fantastic. Tasty with a slight barbecued/smoke flavor. Nice consistency, a little rich cause of the sausage and cheese but not overdone. I'm really looking forward to the meatloaf sandwiches tonight. The cocook lightly sizzles the meatloaf slices in a pan with butter. Great sandwich.

One piece of advice. When you place the smoked meatloaves onto the cookie sheets, use aluminum foil. The meatloaves will run cause of the sausage and cheese. My wife wasn't happy about the burned on crud. There was a lot of CRUD. Soaked the cookie sheet for two days and still can't get them clean. Eeker May have to try oven cleaner or something. The foil sounds like an easy fix.

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of smoking a meatloaf and incorporating a little horseradish into it. Not overdoing it but to get a little of its flavor into it. Maybe eliminate the barbecue sauce. Anyone use it in meatloaf? Dumb?
Last edited by pags
Thanks guys.

CBA. Your pictures are there. When I first posted my results, the wording showed up and the pictures didn't. Actually took about 30 seconds longer than the rest of the post. I thought "Oh no!"

Guess the forum was just moving a little slowly.

OK. Next meatloaf will have horseradish instead of barbecue sauce (mixed in it not the glaze). Don't tell my wife. She doesn't like horseradish. Plan on using it lightly.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.