Skip to main content

I've done this recipe for a Gyros Roast several times on my grill, so I thought I'd try it in my Cookshack Elite. For those that don't know, Gyros meat is a blend of beef and lamb, which is slow roasted on a vertical rotisserie. Since I don't have either the blend or the Gyros Pit, I use this recipe which is made with flank steak (or round steak) and boneless leg of lamb rolled up with Greek spices into a roast mimicking the real thing.

Before we start, let's make sure we're pronouncing Gyros correctly. Many pronounce it Ji Rows (Ji like My. Rows as in rowboat). It is actually pronounced Year Roas (Year as in 365 days. Roast without the T). Don't forget to roll your R. Gyrrrros. Emphasis on the last syllable.

I usually make up my own Greek spices, but I made it simple this time for folks. Here are the ingredients:

1 Boneless Leg of Lamb, roughly 3.5-4 lbs.
1 Flank Steak, 1.5 lbs
Garlic infused Olive Oil
Cavender's Greek Spices

Here's a picture of the flank steak and the leg of lamb. I pounded the flank steak with a meat tenderizer, starting in the center and working outward. This tenderizes the flank steak while getting it's thickness consistent. I also cut it butterflying it a bit to get it as even in thickness as possible. The leg of lamb is untouched in this photo.

I then cut the leg of lamb in half horizontally, butterflied rolling the meat outward from the center, then worked it with the meat hammer to get it as even as possible. The circle of fat at the center of the lamb is where I started butterflying the lamb outward.

In this photo, the flank steak and lamb are fairly consistent in thickness. To both sides, I rubbed with garlic infused grape seed oil(olive oil works just as well) and sprinkled with the Cavender's (most groceries carry this).

Place the lamb on top of the flank steak and trim excess that isn't layered with the other. Tightly roll up the meat and tie (some might trim the smaller ends but I left for those that like well done). I then sprinkle with some oregano, but it's not necessary. I let the rolled up roast sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld some.

The next day, let the roast sit on the counter for 30 minutes. I sprinkled it again with some of the Cavender's. Set the smoker to 250*, throw the Gyros roast in with 4 oz. of hickory, and let it smoke until an internal temp of 140*. Took about 2 hrs. to cook. Here it is out of the smoker.

Let the roast sit for 20 minutes, slice and serve.

It turned out fantastic. Smokey, tender, moist, tasty. And if you like the Greek spices, this was very flavorful. Working the meat, especially the flank steak, with the meat tenderizer really made the entire roast tender. I'd have your meat person run the flank steak through their tenderizer, but Sam's didn't have one.

My wife, daughter, grandson and grand daughter loved it. My grandson and grand daughter don't like lamb, so I told them it was beef. We now have two converts to lamb, at least with the beef included. Cool

This is very easy to do and gives us something a little different to try. Next time I will probably pull the roast from the smoker at 130* (recipe called for 140*) and try 4 oz of oak instead of hickory to see how that comes out.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow, that looks great, Pags. I'm adding this to my list.

Thanks for the pics. Pics are always helpful.

Do you have a recipe for the greek seasonings?

Also, how do you serve this? When I've had gyros, the meat is shaved off a huge vertical spit and wrapped in pita bread with a yogurt dressing. For yours, do you cut it across (perpendicular to the roll) so that you get both lamb and beef?
SkipQ--

Had a little trouble finding the recipe for the Greek blend I usually do. I believe this to be the recipe. If not, it's real close:

Greek Seasoning Blend

• 2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
• 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. cornstarch
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1 tsp. basil
• ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp. ground nutmeg(optional)
• 1 tsp. beef-flavored bouillon granules
• 1 tsp. salt

I substitute Greek Oregano (it's stronger and more savory) and make multiple quantities of the above recipe.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
SkipQ--

Had a little trouble finding the recipe for the Greek blend I usually do. I believe this to be the recipe. If not, it's real close:

Greek Seasoning Blend

• 2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
• 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. cornstarch
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1 tsp. basil
• ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp. ground nutmeg(optional)
• 1 tsp. beef-flavored bouillon granules
• 1 tsp. salt

I substitute Greek Oregano (it's stronger and more savory) and make multiple quantities of the above recipe.

Pags, thank you for the seasoning recipe. I've saved it.

I've added this gyro roulade to my list. I'm still drooling over the pictures.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.