Skip to main content

I am in the process of choosing a smoker. I have a large coal/ hardwood grill which I have done a fair amount of smoking on by creating an indirect fire, but burn through allot of hardwood in the process and tending to the fire every 1-2 hours to maintain temps and prevent flame-ups.
I'm looking for BIG smoke flavor and a less time consuming process, with improved temp regulation.
Was about to commit to pellets but spoke with someone at cookshack who suggested that an electric will give me a more traditional taste.
So...
Which will give me what I want a pellet burner or an electric?
thanks for your help!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Adam1:
...I'm looking for BIG smoke flavor and a less time consuming process, with improved temp regulation.

either one will solve the time consuming process and the improved temp control.

How much food are you planning on cooking? Is this for yourself or catering or ???
Very few people have cooked on both. I'm not sure, (who did you talk to at CS, you can PM me) but given that Pellets are 100% wood, and the electrics use wood only for flavor, to ME, you get a more traditional wood taste in the FEC.

Remember to you have to consider appearance. The electrics have a moister environment than the FE, but that's why the FEC is a more traditional look and taste.

The only issue I have is "BIG" smoke flavor. That's 100% subjective. What someone thinks is oversmoked is another man's undersmoked. You can have an issue in the Electric CS that they burn so much wood (ounces) and it lingers, that some feel it tastes almost like creosote.

I'd ask CS for references and find someplace where you can taste them.

Also remember, that you have a money back guarantee with CS. Just tell them your concerns and what their return policy is.

A lot of "stick burner" types will complain they can't get enough wood in a pellet cooker. For me, I think many of them are used to oversmoked food. That is something you CAN'T do in an FEC, is oversmoke.
It will be for home use, most likely on a weekly basis. At most cooking for house parties of 20 or so people. usually, i'll make a 10 lb beef roast or 10-15 lb Boston butt, 2-3 racks of ribs +/- some wings. have done turkeys in the past (2x 20lb birds).
Perhaps to clarify my BIG smoke statement. I want to taste smoke in the meat not just on the surface.
Can pellets be used in an electric to cut down on the creosote?
Some of the best commercial smoke I've had was at a Day's Inn in Knoxville, TN which seem to come out of some large stainless box that was in 2001. Some of the most disappointing smoke I've had was at at Q place attached to a microbrewery in Bar Harbor ME, they were purely stick burns but under smoked and over-sauced their meats. (seem to wrap everything tight in foil while in the smoker.)
Hope that clarifies a bit what I'm looking for. thanks for your advice!
I was going to give an answer similar to Smokin's but decided to wait. Figured his response would be more valuable to you.

Like Smokin says, I think you'll get a more traditional smoke flavor from the FE. But I also like my product moist so that's where the Cookshack comes in. I've been to a number of barbecue joints that serves dry meat and have to use sauce to compensate. With the Cookshack I get moist product and just use an extra chunk of wood for more wood flavoring.

The bar in ME probably used the foil to keep the product moist and that would naturally cut down on the amount of smoke in the finished product. I wouldn't use them to judge anything cause, as you'd expect, with a stick burner it should produce a good amount of smoke flavoring.
I have the AmeriQue, love a "heavy smoke" flavor and have never had it taste like creosote. Just know how much wood to use by experience! The CS is very simple to use, keeps things very moist, and pretty foolproof. If you can set a cook time, set the temp and when called for use a probe and keep the door shut you can use a CookShack.
Having both a pellet grill (CS-570) and a Cookshack smokette (008), I sold them both and bought a FEC.

That said I love pellet cooking but I'll add there is the insulation factor with the Cookshack.

It's hard to use a uninsulated pellet grill in the snow in rain. Did anyone say Colorado?

So I'd probably go back to the electric if I couldn't do the FEC.

Everything is a compromise you just really ned to think about what is most important!
the cookshack makes it incredibly easy to make consistently great food every time. that is the highest compliment i can give. none of my friends can say that about any of their smokers. i have a 150 so i am talking about the electric. never used a pellet smoker so dont know exactly why my friends have inconsistent results with their traegers.
good luck.
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
I have the AmeriQue, love a "heavy smoke" flavor and have never had it taste like creosote. Just know how much wood to use by experience! The CS is very simple to use, keeps things very moist, and pretty foolproof. If you can set a cook time, set the temp and when called for use a probe and keep the door shut you can use a CookShack.

^^^^^^^^
What Tigerfan said
I have owned a Traeger Lil Tex for 3+ years, and just recently purchased an FEC-100. At this point I am keeping both. I couldn't be more pleased with FEC-100. Likewise I really liked the Traeger as well. Capacity was the issue that initially focused me towards the FEC-100, although I'm finding it to have many other qualities that I like as well.

I live in OH, so I have the cold/rain/snow weather issue to deal with, but I have used my Traeger year round on an uncovered patio since I purchased it. I have the digital control, and never experienced any electronics issues during rain, etc. Pellet usage on the FEC-100 is much less than the Traeger even in good weather, so I know that is something I'll appreciate even more as it gets colder here.

I am about finished with a new covered patio, though. That shiny new FEC-100 was just begging for a new patio to go along with it Wink
quote:
Originally posted by jcohen1005:
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:

^^^^^^^^
What Tigerfan said

What they said.
Donna, as SmokinOkie suggested are there places in Savannah that use a cookshack? If so could you give me some references so I can do a tasting before the purchase?

woody409, I have not used a traeger but suspect that results (by what I have read) may be inconsistent b/c of how it regulates temps, the situation is improved if one upgrades to the digital thermostat but regulation is achieved by altering the on/off cycling interval of the auger which I understand can cause wide temp fluctuations. If I go with a pellet I'd consider other brands because of this problem with the traegers.

I have noticed that there are some people that have both a pellet and electric, why?

thanks everyone for your help at it now stands I'm leaning towards the the CS!
quote:
I have noticed that there are some people that have both a pellet and electric, why?

I think it's because the traeger's are a grill first, smoker second.

the electrics are smokers

FEC's are smokers.

As far as finding someone, that was in reference if you were wanting to do something commercially, comparing an FE to others. For the home smokers, you'll just have to post in the Open section or Owners section and look for some owners.

Keep in mind the money back guarantee
Somehow,it seems like we are crossing up conversations about taste/texture/tradition?/

Can someone explain traditional to me,please.??

I can lay more clean smoke on my CS,that most any cooker I've used.

I cook on pellets for comps.

I'd use my traditional CS at comps-if they let me.

Smokin' and I both cooked on traditional CS,and I still won't give mine up.

There won't be any commercial CS in Savannah.

Maybe an individual will chime in.

The town is great for food and hospitality,but most find it seriously challenged for bbq.

The most famous,Walls ,is boiled shoulder in mustard sauce.

The climate is very mild,so a traegar can struggle by.

You will be very happy, cooking what southerners feel is traditional butt/shoulder on an electric CS.

Just my $0.02
Tom thanks for your insight.
I just moved here from Maryland, but have lived in MI, MO, CA, and AZ as well and have managed to find good barbecue here and there. While visiting here a 2 yrs ago I did get some good brisket and pulled pork in downtown Savannah but the place went under. Their replacement is a place called blowin smoke, but I find it to be mediocre. I have heard good things about Wiley's, yet to try it.
I digress, and apologize for getting off topic but I couldn't resist.
The problem with the traeger is it doesn't go cool enough to do long smokes (180-200) other brands do. and no pellet grill really gets hot enough to sear (>500).
will the cs put a crust on the meat or will I have to finish it in a stick burner?
quote:
no pellet grill really gets hot enough to sear (>500).will the cs put a crust on the meat or will I have to finish it in a stick burner?

Actually FE's new pellet grill is well north of 600 degree, but it's bigger and sounds out of your price range.

I think you're trying to do too many things with one unit.

Do you want a smoker or a grill? If you want both, you're pretty limited

by "crust" I'm assuming you mean bark or crust from searing. You do know the latest Chef information says searing doesn't help retain more liquid, it actually cooks more out? But, you gotta love a good steak with a crust.

CS put a good bark on things. The only variation I do, that some don't is I like to open the door and let some of the humidity out to get an ever more defined bark, but... I don't recommend that for newbies. Use the unit as it was designed, then make tweaks.
Donna's family designed the traditional Cookshacks as brisket cookers,a half century ago.

They are still great!

I wouldn't change my big meats,at all.

My CS160 sets between two different models of FEC s.

My CS will cook down around 150º and the wood starts to smoke a little past 135º.

I had,and my boys have the smallest Smokette.

The bark,as you know, on most cookers is a function of the rub,heat,and smoke.

I never had any problem.

The big meats are as I like them.

I like to slow cook chicken pieces,so I don't want bark.

As Smokin' says,it cooks very moist,so the door needs to be opened some to let mosture escape,if you are cooking really full loads.

I don't finish ribs,on the grill,or under a broiler-but I've heard a couple folks that do.

Sometimes, I like turkeys done at 325º,so I do them in the FEC.

I may like chicken wings almost crispy,so I may cook them on the old model FEC.

I rarely cook steaks in my smokers,but I use the old model FEC for them.

Standing rib roast,tritips,whole beef tenderloins,I use either.

Like Smokin' says,none of them will do all things perfect-so we have the excuse to buy more toys. Wink

Since most folks in that part of Ga define BBQ as PORK,I can pretty much guarantee you can produce a better butt than anyone around there will serve you.

Hope this helps a little.
quote:
CS-570

I now live in Savannah, GA and smoke on a Traeger 070. I use the 180LV digitgal and have done some mods to the auger. I usually smoke at 180 in the summer and 225 in the winter. Temps vary about 15 plus or minus. Smoker prior was a Lang and now I have a no maintenance smoker and am very pleased. I am looking for a cabinet smoker for cold smokes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.