Skip to main content

a little sanding and painting.

I picked the date as I got mine around then

If you have the stainless steel(009) and may have an older one, check the piece of steel that the casters bolt to or pre casters check the back section of the bottom.

I found out thet these had mild steel by the guys at C/S and that was the norm and do rust. I have a neighbor who just received his ans that piece is now stainless steel. I guess I thought mine was all stainless.

Here is what I did to fix this issue since the steel was not a mistake at the factory.
1. Got a 3M sanding wheel from Home Depot(looks like a scrubbie)
2. Sanded the steel to remove the rust.
3. Taped off the stainless pieces and painted with High heat black paint. I used 3 coats.

You don't see this rust until you turn it over. I just happened to do it and found the rust. As I thought it was all stainless and this piece is not part of the cooking section, I still don't want this to rust out while the rest lasts. This thing should last forever and I wouldn't be able to repair it on my own so maintaining the rusting is all I can do.
Hope this helps.

I also have a friend who has the 008 and his painted piece was just as rusted. He had to do the same as I did to fix the issue.

I don't know how long the patch will work. I guess all I can say is check it out every season to see.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.