Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SteveP; Don'nt get worked up. Get all your temp probes outta' there for ribs. Little backs will be done in about 3 to 4 hours. The more mass the longer. Stop opening the door. Set the temp.@ 225 and leave it alone, You"ll be fine. CS has a fine smoker, takes care it's self. How bout those Steelers.
Well a 55 should never get over 300, so I'm gonna guess your temp probe is off, that you're using to measure the smoker temp with.

I've never found a good "temp' for ribs as there is just too much variation with the thickeness, size of the ribs, etc.

Take Whalebone's advice and go from there. They could be done sooner if the smoker was indeed hotter.

Welcome to the group.

Smokin'
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[qb] Well a 55 should never get over 300, so I'm gonna guess your temp probe is off, that you're using to measure the smoker temp with.
[/qb]
Agreed. I can't see where a mod 50/55 would ever go that high.

This is probably bad instrumentation like Smokin says. Try using a different thermometer, make sure it's not touching metal, and I bet you see lower oven temps.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[QB] Well a 55 should never get over 300, so I'm gonna guess your temp probe is off, that you're using to measure the smoker temp with.

There's a cliche - "never say never."

When I first got my 055 I thought temp calibration was an important issue. So I did monitor the temp of my smoker and with a thermostat setting of 225 I was stunned to see the fluctuations run from 180 to 317 deg.

It was through this forum that I learned not to worry about the fluctuations. Actually, as I have used the CS more and more, the high to low temp range has narrowed considerably, and the more meat you load in tends to stabilize the swing even more.

Even your indoor oven will have a 50+ deg swing. Bottom line is, you learn to work with it. If you use a CS, there is no need to micro-manage your cook, just load 'er up and let 'er go!!! Big Grin
I think this depends on what your cooking. For brisket, butt, etc, wide temp swings don't matter. For poultry it could actually work in your favor.

For seafood, especially really fragile stuff like scallops, hitting 94 degrees above the setting would not be good. Other types of food too. It would absolutely ruin most of my sausage recipes. The fat would melt out and I'd end up with dry, crumbly sausage.

When I first got my unit, I called support and they helped me work it out so that my temps don't go beyond about 30-40 degrees above the set temp. That's a requirement I have that others might not, especially if they only cook certain foods.

Personally, I think 94 degrees above setting is too high a temp swing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.