Skip to main content

Wow, you guys made it tough, Thanks Todd (see this post for details)

Smokin' told me he foils everything

Guess you might think it's a lot, to post 10,000 replies about BBQ (or maybe a little crazy) but when you're doing something this much fun, you don't notice.

As of today, the forum has 10799 topics and 82547 replies. That's a lot of BBQ knowledge.

It's been a lot of fun talking BBQ. I started, actually just like a lot of you. My Wife, Mrs. Smokin (aka Twila) bought a Smokette for me at the Oklahoma Fair. She did it because she didn't want me standing outside doing all that hard work smoking (she never understood the fun I got from doing that). From those beginnings, I went to the CS site and was looking for information.

Have a read here, if you want some fun. You'll see a really ugly forum.

First CS Forum 1999 -- 2001

Seems CS did have staff answering the messages, but all too often they didn't have the exact knowledge to answer. So, I volunteered to answer questions. When we created this version of the forum in 2001 I was fully engaged as the moderator, a non-paid, volunteer only position.

The one constant from that original forum through today are the great people who come and go to the forum.

I actually go diving in the archives frequently and remember a lot of people who've come and gone. It's too bad some of them don't come back, I'm tempted to send an email to "reply all" to the almost 10,000 members and say HEY, where are you?

But it's more fun seeing new owners and new people come in and give their spin on BBQ. Let's just say we have some interesting people and we have a large number of regulars and we have a lot of fun with BBQ.

This forum is about BBQ and we haven't set it up for "off topics" and things that aren't Q because there are plenty of those types of forums to meet at, I certainly have more forums I visit. I would be remiss for not mentioning Tom. Tom goes back to the original forum also. And while he'll never be accused of writing "smokin' " posts (inside joke) he is absolutely one of the jewels of this forum. That man knows his BBQ. Tom, thanks for making the journey fun my friend.

"Someone" else to mention is CS. I got involved with CS because of the company they are and the people that they are. As many good reports you hear about the Customer Service, I personally know the people behind the phone calls. ALL of them are exceptional, just great people living in Ponca City, OK who love their work and their company. Maybe someday you'll meet one of them. CS has been great to me over the years (although I did miss one Christmas Mail, something about a jacket and a weather station, eh Stuart) and it's all for a love of BBQ.

We do keep it friendly and on topic and one of the jobs I hate is having to moderate. You may not realize, but every topic in the archives and other forums was pretty much manually moved there. So, besides 10,000 posts, I've probably touched each of the 10799 topics.

So, it's been another fun year, I've hit 10,000 posts. Check out this link to see who won the contest (time of 10,000th post was 12/16 4:05am, I was online during my REAL job)

10,000 Posts Thread

Looking forward to 2010 and seeing what comes. I too have new BBQ things to try. I'm GOT to get the 101's updated, this time I'll probably do photos and videos. Many you don't know how hard those are to update. I have over 21.5GB (yes Gigabyte) of BBQ data on my computer. Stuff I've collected from the Internet and written. Anyone wanna help me build a website?

Best to all, each of those 10,000 posts were fun, all because on the other end of the posts were some great people. Those who've joined and the thousands of lurkers that come by and don't join, just read. Why not JOIN?

And Photos. Guys, Gals, we need MORE PHOTOS. I need to see that good stuff you're cooking. I'll resurrect the thread about posting photos, but it's not that hard, really, trust me...

I started the post some of my favorite topics, but when the list grew to more than about 30 or 40, well... I didn't.

My favorite would have to be the top ten rules, part of the "lessons learned" thread. Look for my post (where I copied from another member) listing the TEN CoMMANDMENTS for new smokers. I love Rule #10. I still remember reading it the first time.

We've definitely had some laughs around here.

Here's to the next 10,000...

Russ
a.k.a. Smokin Okie
Dec 2009
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been around a bunch of bbq/grilling forums for years and Smokin' runs one of the rare,truly NICE,forums.

We all learn together,and more and more folks grow into the Cookshack family.

The early forum will show you how much we and the company have learned,together,about these cookers.

Three full time paid moderators could not have done Smokin's "job".

The amount of hard work,you might hire from someone,until they wear out and move on.

The passion for the life of the bbq cook,and the true liking and caring about people is what has enabled Smokin' to build this part of the Cookshack family.

Smokin' is known throughout the BBQ world and appreciated for his knowledge and many talents.

The thing that probably impresses me the most is I've never heard anyone that has met him say anything other than good things about him.

Think about how many folks we can say that about.

Smokin's interest in and patience with people,has allowed the forum to stay friendly.

Since the early days,I can only think of about three individuals that have not been allowed to continue on the forum.

These people were given every chance from the owners,management,and Smokin' to continue on and chose not to.

I appreciate Smokin' for all I have learned from him,but more from being a good friend to me.

Hopefully ,we'll have many more helpful and fun years with all we learn from our new friends.
Congratulations Smokin. Congratulations to a job well done and congratulations to making America a better place to eat barbecue. It's truly great to have a passion to help one through life's journey, and your passion for barbecue and people shows in this forum.

My personal thanks to you for helping me along the way and making me feel like my questions (most of which have been asked over and over) were the first time you've dealt with them. A number of my friends and family have thanked me for some great barbecue, but in reality were also thanking you. I'd be remiss without also thanking Tom and everyone else for contributing their time and knowledge. This is a great place to learn about BBQ, meet and make friends and have some fun.

September 10, 2017 at 9:08 am. My guess for your 20,000th post.
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
Smokin'

Ditto what Pags said!!
Thanks for all your help, your knowledge and your love of BBQ. I too have learned much since reading and following this forum. I appreciate you and Tom and Todd and Wheelz and Pags and everyones help and comments.
Thanks for a job well done.

+1
[Drum roll ...]

And the winner is ... Big Snack!

Congratulations on guessing when the calloused fingers of Smokin' Okie would bang out his 10,000th post.

Our lucky winner gets a $100 Cookshack gift certificate, good for the purchase of any Cookshack or Fast Eddy's product(s).

Please join me in congratulating to Big Snack for his achievement, and Smokin' Okie for his years of dedication to the Forum!
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
[Drum roll ...]

And the winner is ... Big Snack!

Congratulations on guessing when the calloused fingers of Smokin' Okie would bang out his 10,000th post.

Our lucky winner gets a $100 Cookshack gift certificate, good for the purchase of any Cookshack or Fast Eddy's product(s).

Please join me in congratulating to Big Snack for his achievement, and Smokin' Okie for his years of dedication to the Forum!

Thank you very much Donna! That is a very generous prize!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.