Skip to main content

i rubbed with cookshack chicken rub and salt and pepper. did not trim, fat side down. one chunk hickory one chunk apple. put the butt in yesterday at around 8pm, 225 temp.

this morning at 8am i went to check on it. the cookshack WAS UNPLUGGED!

my pops had unplugged it at 5am because he saw smoke coming out of the top hole. argh

anyway thats around 4 hours the cookshack was unplugged. i plugged it back in and the meat temp was 129. is the meat edible or should i trash it? i dont want to get food poisoning.

as of now the meat temp is at 179
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

you are right, im not going to chance it. im going to albertsons right now to pick up another and do it overnight. pops has been counseled.

funny i make threads of only unsuccessful cooks (only two so far, and like this one both user error) and not the good ones. that needs to change
Last edited by Former Member
trying this again. albertsons didnt have any pork butts left when i went the second time last weekend. today i got a 10 lbs picnic.

just put it in at 225. cookshack chicken rub, salt and pepper, one chunk hickory one chunk mesquite.

will divide in thirds tomorrow. one third home made mexican green tomatillo serrano chile sauce. one third kc masterpiece, last third sweet baby rays bbq sause (too sweet for me but it was on sale at albertsons)

since the pulled pork ive done before seemed to be lacking in flavor (meat tender and juicy but for some reason i cannot taste the rub) i will add more salt, pepper and rub when i pull. taking out at 195.

i dont have a cooler so i will foil, towel and put in the oven for at least one hour.

pops knows not to mess with my toy this time.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.