Skip to main content

I have been unable to find untrimmed brisket in our local supermarkets, and I'm sick of cooking little "supertrimmed" flats, so I placed an order with a local packing plant for a whole, untrimmed brisket.

Picked it up today, and it weighs in at 14.5 lb, which seems pretty large compared to the numbers I've seen quoted on the net.

It is about 18" long, so it won't fit on the rack of my Smokette. I'm assuming the only reasonable thing is to cut it into two pieces - each would be about 9 x 11 inches.

Are there any tips for doing this large a piece of meat? Is cutting it in half the right approach?

I assume a cooking temperature of 225 degrees should be good, and I would assume at least 10 hours of cooking time (although I'll use thermometers and cook to about 190 degree internal temperature).

Thanks for any advice regarding this mega-brisket! Smiler

Steve
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the same problem with the small oven and large brisket. The manual that comes with the smokette recommends the the brisket flat be folded under (uncut so at to preserve the cut of meat) then cooked at the one and one half hour per pound. This method has worked extremely well for me, in fact I am going to load a brisket now for lunch on saturday. I have had it in seasoning for about 48 hours. I did read on a web site or cook book some where how to trim a brisket, this would be a no-no to some, however after years of back yard cooking this old dog has learned a new trick. A properly trimmed brisket not only cooks faster, but has much less fat (this keeps my doc happier)when ready to eat. kind regards... Smiler
instead of folding it under it self, would placing a stainless steel mesh type box or basket so it can drape over it wise?

Will this allow it to cool even through the cooking process? My guess it would. Now, where to ger such a thing. I know of the vegatable baskets for the grill. But I think the holes area spaced to far apart on those.

I will look st the stores today and report back if I find any
actually, when I fold the flat under, I don't fold it tight, it is extremely loose, so loose that it(the flat) is more standing on end, which allows for much smoke and heat circulation. This method, makes me lower the shelf bracket, and cook on the middle shelf space so there is adequate room above the brisket and the smoker ceiling. You know, I have been podering the idea of custom making a rack, of steel and then take it to the chrome shop for plating, any thoughts on this??
Day before yesterday, I cooked three briskets in my 55. I bought a case, so they were of very different sizes. I know in the book it says not to cut them, but I don't know why and decided I'd try it anyway. Did some more experimenting by taking the point off one and cooking it separately. Results were very good. I tried to trim them to about 1/4" of fat.
I put the largest one on the bottom shelf with the point on, a chunk of the flat remover and the fat side down. Next largest went onto the shelf just above with fat side up. On the top shelves, I put the point I'd taken off and the pieces of the flat I had cut off the largest briskets. In between, I folded under a part of the flat on the third one. All turned out very good and obviously, the smaller pieces were done earlier than the big ones. The largest one on the bottom shelf, however, was done earlier than the whole ones above it. I am sure that's because it was nearer the heat source, or maybe it was because it was a brisket (they are funny that way). Anyway, in this event, I could detect no ill effects from cutting off a chunk of the flat to make the brisket fit and could detect no difference between the folded and the pieces I had cut off. As I recall, I removed meat 3 or 4 times as it was done. Two pieces of the cut off flats a very near the same size, on the same shelf came off about 30 minutes apart--but that's brisket.
Interesting thread...

You got some good advise, so let us know how the smoke went.

Some thoughts.

No need to trim the fat, go ahead if you want to, but a properly cook brisket will render and you can "scrap" the fat off at the time of slicing, if you don't want to eat it. Competition cooks like to trim it down to 1/4" not because it's too much fat, but because at the time of presentation, it will be easier. Trim too much and you won't have enough fat for flavor or tenderness. Another trick is to take the trimmed fat, throw it on top so it will soak through, then scrap off at the end of the cook.

Don't cut it in half, you can go for the fold technique. If you DO trim, keep in mind that the best slices come from the narrow end. Most would tend to slice that off first, don't. Trim from the opposite end. Or trim from the top down. The flat (that's the bottom piece) will render better slices than the deckle (that's the top). If you must trim, try the top down and fold under. It will shrink up and maybe halfway through the cook, un-fold.

Figure 1.5 hours X 14, means could be a 21 hour cook. Probably less, but better safe than planning a party on a specific time. It will always hold for a few hours.

cbear, you're right, briskets have a mind of their own Wink
I recently cooked a Wallyworld 11 pounder. Just fit in. But the thing to remember is that it shrinks after cooking awhile, and by bending it over initially, you may be able to eventially fold it all the way out, possibly even for a 14 pounder. And there is no real problem if it touches the wall somewhat.

I like to cook mine to an internal of 188 in the flat, take it out, double foil and wrap in towel and hold in a ice chest for two hours. I then take it out and cut the point off the flat and trim the flat very clean and slice for eating. I then put the point out in the CS for another 5-6 hours to let the fat slowly render out (there is a lot of fat imbedded into the meat fibers of the point and the best way to get it out is to slowly render it out). I then immediately pull it (as in pulled brisket) and freeze it. I think this is the best and tastiest part of the brisket after you have the fat reasonably rendered out.

By the way, Stuart says in the video made by High Mountain (of which he is an up and coming actor)that for a large brisket, you can cut the point off and cure it with HM buckboard bacon cure and make beef buckboard bacon. It sounds good to me and I am going to try it sometime. Just as long as I can have the point to make great brisket.

Perhaps Stuart would like to comment on this.

Smiler
Butchers twine/string and tie it up. That way when it starts to cook it won't unfold itself when it starts cooking. It will help keep a nice uniform thickness that way and will keep it from touching the sides. If you have any creosote build up on the sides it will tante the meat it touches and make it nasty
Good Q'n
Jon
Thanks again for the help. The brisket turned out very good. I started it at 9:00 PM Friday night at 225 degrees. I folded it as recommended, and used about 3 oz mesquite and 2 oz hickory. I might use a bit more wood next time.

The big surprise was that it had hit 190 degrees internal by 9:00 AM the following morning. Just 12 hours. Very strange. And no, I was not measuring in the fat - I made sure to put the probes solidly in the meat.

Anyway, since folks were not due to arrive until 6:00 PM, I transferred the brisket to a roasting pan, covered with foil, and kept it in a very slow oven (150 degrees) for an additional 7 to 8 hours. Needless to say, the fat rendered out from the point, and it was tender, tender, tender.

My guests really enjoyed it, and made quite a dent in it, but I still have a bunch left for sandwiches.

Unfortunately, I didn't see Tom's post about straightening out the fold until it was too late - I'll try that next time. But it still sliced up fine. Good stuff, and quite an adventure. Big Grin
I found what you can use for crome. In kitchen's etc, linens & things you can get a heavy duty basket. Ever see the good 3 tier baskets people have in their Kitchen that hold things like fruit? You can get 3 baskets and use them all for about $24 for the good thick ones. I bought them and can't wait to try.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.