Skip to main content

Bought two cases of butts, 16 total boneless, 125 lbs total weight.

Hit them hard with Bad Byron's Butt Rub at 10:00pm, Tuesday night. Set the FE at 225 setting, loaded with hickory pellets. Putting four butts on each shelf kind of crowded the FE but everything fit, barely.

The first butts that were done were on the bottom. The two lower shelves finished with approx internal temp of 195 about2:30pm on Wed or about 16 1/2 hour cook. The upper shelves were only about 172 at the time. These butts took an additional four hours to hit 195. Ended up with 12 1/2 pans of pulled pork or roughly 60 lbs, or a 50% yield. Nice product, very moist. Going into the freezer for tailgaters.

What did this show. 1. The bottom of the pit cooks much faster than the top when loaded to the max. Probably has to do with reduced air flow and having the bottom closer to the heat source.
2. A large load of meat takes longer than just a couple of butts. Normally a couple of 10 lbers takes about 15 hours.

What could I change for next time.
1. Nothing, having to split the pulling into two groups is not so bad. Gives to time to take care of product and clean up mess before you do the next eight butts.

2. If a person wanted to have all butts come off at once then you would want to move the shelves around in the FE during the cook or put the butts on the top two shelves a few hours before loading up the bottom two shelves.

Happy I did not get a grease fire. Having the FE at the lower temp setting assisted in this. I did create a lot of grease in the pan which I emptyed during the cook to prevent running over. It turned out this would not have been a problem since I probably did not get over a quart of pork grease.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just got my fe 100 a week ago. Have tried a brisket and a couple of butts and they came out fine. I'm doing a party of 125 on Sat. I have 12 8 to 10 pound butts as well as another 25 pounds of flats. Can you tell me when I needto start the butts to have them done by 5:00 p.m.
Any guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Not real sure about your cook time.

You are going to cook them a little hotter than I did since you don't have a 225 setting. You also are not going to load the FE quite as full as I did but still will have a pretty good load. I would think that if you put them on at 9:00pm Friday night that they should take about 1 1/2 hours per pound so should be done about noon on Saturday. Let sit in a cooler for a couple of hours and then pull.

I always like to do mine way ahead of time. I do not want to spend time with butts on the day of the party, rather have fun with friends, work on some sides, ribs, salmon and everything else.

If it were me I would start tonight, pull the pork on Friday night and reheat the pork before your function on Saturday.
Duck it is easier to cook 12 butts and it dont overload the cooker . You just have to switch top and bottom racks one time during half the cooking time . Leave the middle rack alone . Works for me . Cook at 225 to 250 at the exhaust temp for 12 hrs and switch at 6 hr mark . Then let rest till ready to pull . As long as the butts are in the 6 to 7 lb range they will be done at the 12 hr mark .
Thanks for the help. They've been in since 11:00 last night and 11 hours, they are coming along just fine. Brisket is sitting around 170 and the butts are 157. I should be in good shape by 5:00.
Next time I'll do them ahead and freeze. That should less stressful.

Thanks again Duck and K.P.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.