Skip to main content

Been a while since I visited the forum. Got my Amerique last summer. Been making, what anyone who's tasted, has said is the best brisket they've had. Don't get too excited, I'm in Miami Fl., not a hotbed for really good q. The brisket has been pretty good though, I would like it to be GREAT! I'm a bit confused as I have been cooking to internal temp of 180 at the thickest part of a whole brisket. I leave the meat untrimmed and use a homemade rub consisting of a lot of brown sugar and virtually every spice in my cabinet. The meat usually comes out reasonably tender and moist. My question is, what is the best internal temp to cook to? As the title of my post states, I've heard #s all over the map. 170, seemed really too tough and not yet "there". I cooked once to 190, came out dry, althought I'm not sure it was the temp or not enough fat cap. At 180 the meat is as described but still alot of fat. Does the 190 or 195 render off the rest of the fat? I'm asking rather than experimenting because I spent all of my money on the Amerique and that last bag of wood chunks I bought locally. Can't afford to waste any more on dry brisket. If this brought a tear to anyone's eye, I'm sure I could arrange to take up a collection.

Joking aside... I'm really wondering if the higher internal temp time will actually produce a more tender, juicier finished product?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey 401,

I cook alot of brisket, and I like to take my temps up to 195. You said you took yours to 180 in the thick part, but what is the temps at the other parts of the brisket?

I will take mine up to 165 and then wrap in foil, and then take them up to the 195, and pull them off. But some don't like to foil.
I cook a lot of brisket.
Full Packers Angus Choice.
This is how I do mine.
190 in thickest part, but check for how easy the probe goes in and out.
Take out of smoker put quarter cup of apple juice and quarter cup of low sodium beef stock.
Double wrap in heavy foil then wrap with a towel put into ice chest for 2 to 3 hours.
It will still be hot when you take it out and serve.
Keepin' in mind that cows can't read therms,temp is pretty much a guide.

The CS was designed by Donna's family, about a half century ago, as a brisket cooker.

It is a particularly moist cooker.

I always recommend that folks learn to cook briskets,like their cookers cook.

If that don't work ,try the tricks.

As to temp,a large hunk of meat can rise 15º when in a cooler with a couple other chunks.

This will depend on cooker temps,of course.

When the probe goes through ,from top to bottom,real easy-this is a fine time to rest it in foil in a cooler for at least a couple hrs.

Now we tend to cook choice packers in the 15 lb range and I've had them come tender from 186º-212º internal.

For company,I'd rather cook above the 195º internal.

Better to be a little too done,than not enough.

If a little too done,you can cut it a mite thicker.

Sounds like a good time will be had by all.

Just my $0.02
Last edited by tom
Well, everyone's definition of great will depend so you have to experiment to develop your own goals.

quote:
I'm really wondering if the higher internal temp time will actually produce a more tender, juicier finished product?

Unfortunately no. juice is a result of a lot of factors with the number one being intramuscular fat (marbling). The quality of the meat has the most impact. Also, holding method helps (like steak, let it sit a few moments and it holds it's juices)

Not sure where the temps are coming from, but I'd shoot for 195 to 200 (200 is much more to tender) for a really GOOD brisket.

To get a GREAT brisket you can never never never never (get the point) cook to only a specific temp. I've had some at 193, some at 198 and even a few over 205. Different breeds of beef and different grades of meat.

Tom IS a great brisket cook (I said it, so it's a fact now Tom) so listen to him when he talks brisket. He's taught me a thing or two.

He and I and most every other Brisket cook I know will aim for a target temp. Target temp varies, but not the next step.

Temp isn't an indicated of tenderness, it's an indication of temp. For tenderness you have to remember a lot of factors will vary from brisket to brisket. No two cows are the same, neither are the briskets.

THEN they use the "poke and prod" method of checking for doneness.

As you use a probe and push it into the brisket, FEEL the give of the meat. If it takes two hands to push it in, it's pretty much a guarantee you won't want it yet.

You will have to do this a few times to get a sense of how much give to look for.

If you feel NO resistence, it will be perfect for chopping.

You want to aim for very, very little resistence.
Well now,these kind words are making me blush.

Smokin' and I aren't trying to make it sound simple,just getting you to where you can learn by practice.

These forums have reduced the learning curve,greatly,for all types of cooking.

There are some really fine cooks that do share,when we listen.

Smokin' sure fits that bill.

I try to pay attention,as much as I can,and then practice and try to remember the feel.

One thing I don't hear as much,that Smokin' used to preach right regular is,"take real good notes and refer to them,when you repeat a cook"

Brisket seems to be one where practice and feel might take a little longer than some others.

The differences in cows,as Smokin' mentioned.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Thanks to everybody for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes after Sunday.

Tom, I noticed your address is in Satellite Beach Fl. Ever cross the Southern Border and head down to Miami? If so, there is an open invitation at our place for some good eats. I'd be privelaged to cook for you and yours, and get some qualified critique and suggestions from you. Smokin says you're the man when it comes to brisket... That's good enough for me.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Paradise
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
The CS was designed by Donna's family, about a half century ago, as a brisket cooker.

I just about stroked out when I read this and realized that it really WAS almost half a century ago, and that you were not just throwing a big number out there. Please! No more references to my age, LOL! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:

Please! No more references to my age, LOL! Big Grin

Now, Donna, reread the quote, he didn't say YOU designed it and were 50 years old. Shoot, you're barely over drinking age.

And 401, anytime you need a brisket lesson, I'll pick up Tom and meet you on your back deck. NICE!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.