Skip to main content

Just finished my first pork butt in my 009. It took about 19 hours to 190+ and sprayed it twice with apple juice. I just used garlic and pepper to season, I didn't want to loose the meat flavor. It came out great.

My biggest problem with CS is really with Patience by donkey. CS really only goes to 250 and everybody seems to cook at 225. All the stuff I have used before, 250 was about as low as you could go, if you watched it.

I did a couple of racks of ribs and foiled half of each rub @ 3hrs for a total of 6. I think Patience will be foiled henceforth. The straight 6 hours were dry even when they were juiced every hour after 2. The foiled saddled critters seemed just on the edge of where they needed to be and reheated yesterday to perfection. Razzer
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

rendezousq: butts always run longer than anything else i smoke, about 2 hrs 15min. a pound, i quess that is due to the amount of fat through out the meat.i have always used mustard smeared on the butts with salt, pepper and garlic. never open the door and only foil to hold. i smoke alot of spereribs never open and only about 5 hrs.at 225 set with great results. when things come out not quit like you hoped, that is a good thing means,dog donit , have to try agian.you well learn to love that 009.paul
I alway apply mustard to pork and mayo to chicken before adding rub. In my years of using my 008, I never open the door, although I do use a Polder and Pyrex temp probes to 190 de for Boston Butts. For ribs, my best results have been to cut the slab in half and and hang them on CS rib hooks. For me 4 hours @ 225 de, and they are just about "fall off the bone".
Bed Bath & Beyond sells temp probes at a reasonable price, but check out their news adds for a 20% discount coupon and get a really good deal. Temp probes are a must for every CS owner!
Another Seattle-ite here RendevousQ and you're right on for my experience. I have the 009. Butts take about 18-20hrs. I put one in last night about 8:30pm...it's 11:00am now and I'm at 194 degrees. I like to take mine to 200 for pulling, I get better results that way for my taste. So far, I've bought my butts at Wholefoods and at the Golden Steer butcher in Bellevue. By the way...I found the same with brisket...longer the better. I've dealt with patience issue by just puttin' em in the night before.

sean
The butt HAS to get above 180 to pull. Usually above 190.

Long slow cooks like you're suggesting are fine, but after 20 hours, the butt won't be at 180 it will hang around 170 or so.

Why do you want a long cook? Maybe that would help understand.

Just shoot for 250 and about 1 hour to 1.5 hours per pound and it will come out great.

Smokin'
Thanks for the info. The reason for the 180 is so I wont have to wake up at 4am to check on the butt. I am to leave the house for a picnic at 6am.

I have smoked boneless butts before with great results save for the drying on the edges and fatless areas. Will the use of bonein butts help with the drying problem? What about adding fat in areas that have no fat.
THe other reason for the 180 temp setting is that the temp probe reached around 170 in only 5 hours. I currently smoking 2 butts around 7.5 lbs each. I will leave the temp at 180 till 4am at which time I will crank up the heat for another 2 hours for the butts to reach 192. In a way, the butts will be holding at 170 for 8 more hours till 4 am. I have done this before and it turned out well. Does slow cooking really improve tenderness?Any thoughts?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.