Skip to main content

OK...here we go

I seasoned the smoker yesterday

Doing 3 racks of BB tomorrow...eating at around 7pm

Ribs are prepped...sittin in the refrige w/ CS rib rub on them...each weighing in at 2 lbs 12 oz

Went thru the CS wood chunks and weighed them...found a piece of hickory at 1.6 oz...think thats what I'm gonna use

Plan is to start at 1:30 - 2 pm...if it takes 4 hours or less then I can set to 150 and eat at 7pm

If it takes 5 hrs, then on track

If it takes longer then it's done when it's done

Will try the toothpick method after 4 hrs
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One thought on the setting smoker at 150*,when I have done this it takes a while for the smoker to get to 150*. And yes I kept dumping the heat. After the 1st time trying to keep at 150*, I decided that wrapping ribs with foil and keeping in a warm cooler was a better way.

You may need to watch rubbing pork more than 2 hours, IF there is salt in the rub it will make a hammy taste to pork,IMO. Don't think you'll have that problem with CS ribrub?

Depending on cooking temp, 4hrs may be done or overdone(fall off the bone),which some like.
A couple of weeks ago I smoked 6 racks of BB's, 3 lbs. each, 225 degrees with 2 oz. of hickory. I applied CS Rib Rub generously 4 hours before firing up my SM025. I pulled the ribs at 3 hours, wrapped in foil, put 'em in an ice chest, and covered with a big beach towel before closing the lid. 3 hours later they were still steaming hot when I unwrapped them. A quick finish on a super hot gas grill, 2 minutes each side, to add the char marks and a little more bark. They were done perfectly: juicy, tender, delicious. 8 people had no problem reducing the 6 racks into a pile of bones.
quote:
Originally posted by smokin church hill:
I prefer a little pull rather than fall off the bone...4 hours too long?

The real answer is... it depends.

How much do they weight. That REALLY matters.

One thing I've worked on recently is reminding rib cooks to weigh their ribs (or note the weight when you buy them)

You could have 1.5 BB's, or 2.75 BB's or even 3+ loin backs. The first would be finished in your time frame the latter will take longer.

If they're kind of small, check them at 3.

As for rubbing overnight. The KEY to that is the rub. If it has salt, you may/may not have a hammy rib.

Do you know if these were Solution Enhanced ribs? Those give ribs that hammy taste too.

The toothpick (man, I start that now everyone does it...) will save you.
Here are the results:

3 racks BB at 2.75 lbs each
Light CS Rib Rub night before
Put ribs in smoker cold & smoker was cold
Set to 225 - 1.6 oz CS hickory

Checked at 3 hrs...nice pull back on the bone...did the toothpick test in different areas, seemed good in most areas but wasn't sure in the thickest part so I decided to go another 45 min...total 3 hrs 45 min

Removed from smoker

They were fall off the bone and everybody loved them.

Not me
- Not much of a smoke flavor
- No smoke ring
- Not much of the rub flavor

Will try again on Sunday with a little more rub and more wood
Try kicking the wood up to 4 oz., maybe two chunks. Split them for more smoke. Works for me. If that doesn't do it, use more.

You won't get a smoke ring with the Cookshack since the heat source is not provided by wood. If it's important, add a couple chunks of charcoal. I get great product with no ring so it doesn't seem important to me. It only adds to appearance and not flavor.

Adding more rub should do the trick. I've even painted mustard on my ribs so I can apply even more rub. You won't taste the mustard when it's cooked.

Nice to know that the only one left to satisfy is you. You'll get there.
Yep,

It doesn't take long and we become our worst critic. That is why most of us come to this forum, to improve our Q, and it seems like the old PRO's are willing to share a little knowledge and make sure that we(Newbies) are on the right path.

You're right, another smoke is in order and these little things seem to work themselves out with the experience of a few smokes and some reading. A person can get some valuable knowledge by reading, but good notes and experience will be needed on the road of becoming a cook.

Glad to hear that everyone thought you were already an old PRO!!! It will only get better as you and your smoker become life long buddies.
quote:
... everybody loved them.
Not me
- Not much of a smoke flavor
- No smoke ring
- Not much of the rub flavor

And you're doing the work, so make the cook happy.

Smoke "flavor" is a very, very, very... did I say very? subjective issue. If you think it needs more, then go for it.

A lot will actually say 4 oz for ribs is too much.

Think about smoke like this. There is a small window when smoke will penetrate the food. That's based on the type of wood, the temp zone and how long the food stays below 140 for the wood to penetrate.

That's what creates the smoke ring.

For more pentration, try cooking at 180 for a few hours, and as Pags said, split the wood up. Smaller chunks burn faster, create more wood smoke (some will add pellets). SR is created by nitrates/nitrites and that's from smoke. In a CS you just don't burn enough wood, and we recommend Charcoal to add more SR.

For me, SR means nothing. It's something we were told means good Q and I'm here to tell you it means nothing but a visual, looks pretty thing. But you can fix it.

Oh, and what you actually "taste" is the smoke on the outside of the meat, so you can add more wood later in the smoke to add more smoke flavor on the outside.

Look at the kind of wood. Hickory, Pecan, Mesquite are the strong flavors. Fruit woods are mild. Alder won't do anything.

For the rub flavor, it's a challenge. 1, if you put too much on, you'll prevent the smoke from penetrating.

Almost all rubs will loose flavor as they cook. everyone knows this, they just don't think about it. Taste it in your hands, tastes greats. Taste it on the food after it cooks, something is missing.

Key is that some/most/all of the ingredients will change their flavor as the rub cooks.

Here's the key.

Add more rub either during the cook, or when you baste or when you add sauce or even after you pull the ribs.

If you do them at the end, make up some "magic dust". Basically put the rub you put on originally through a grinder and make a fine powder. Dust them when you pull them or serve them. The powder, being smaller will reduce more in the end. Large granules in the original rub won't melt as quick and will likely be chunky. You decide whether to grind or not grind.

Smokin'
Sounds like a great start! When I have guests, I usually vary the amount of rub and doneness for the racks. As well as compromise on the amount of smoke. Most folks dont like a lot of smoke or seasoning and like them well done. I also take good notes so I can adjust for the next cook.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I will try a small adjustment rather than over do it.

I originally used 1.6 oz hickory. Next time I will go 2.5 or 3 oz.

Also will use a little more rub.

Gonna use the same ribs, same temp, and remove from the smoker a little earlier.

Will let you know on Sunday.

The worst part was. I forgot to line the bottom of the smoker and heat deflector with foil before the smoke. So mad!

Also...put 2 temp probes in the smoker. Bottom rack rear left 265-270 deg...top rack front right 243-248 deg

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.