Skip to main content

We’re Having some company over tomorrow night, so I'm cooking a little. Two 10LB butts (they had some that were 13 pounds, can you believe it?) and Six Racks of St. Louis Ribs.
Rubbed the Butts down with some yellow mustard and some McCormick Apple wood Rub cut with some brown sugar and put let them set about an hour before putting them in the FEC at 260, Fat side down on the bottom shelf. Figure they'll be done mid-morning. I bought 31 pounds of Ribs total (six racks). Cut them down to St. Loui style. Had 13 pounds of tips and flaps which I vacuum sealed and froze for another day. I Rubbed the Ribs with a light coat of honey mustard and some McCormick with a little brown sugar. They were right at 3 pounds each. I'll put them on about mid-morning, 275 until done. Since the Smoker will be otherwise empty, I plan to put them flat, two to a rack on the 2nd, 4th and 6th shelves (of the seven shelf system).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well everything turned out great. The ribs were a little overdone for my taste, but no one even noticed. I was out of cookshack rub and boy do I miss it. I did put a little too much brown sugar in the rubs for the butts and ribs, resulting in a hard, almost chewy, black bark, not nearly as good as my previous butts. Inside was great. Pulled the butts at 10AM for a total of 15hrs. They were over 200, a little high, but I wanted them like this because they were getting sauced down. Put the Ribs in at 11 and pulled them at 3:30. The smoker was hot when I put them in and I should have taken them out a tad sooner, but live and learn. the FEC is still a champ in my book. Can't believe that it seems to be more and more consistant every time I use it. I've just completed burning 200 pounds of pellets. Running great!
Glad it worked. I don't put BS directly on them for that reason (unless you want a heavy bark). I use turbinado or brownulated sugar (dehydrated BS). I also add it late in the process. Too much BS can overpower the rub itself.

Why didn't you take them out sooner on the ribs? I never cook on time, I test them to get them done where I want them. I've cooked 1,000's of ribs and I just like to play with my BBQ so I don't use time (except as a guide).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.