Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Couldn't get both turkeys in the smokette so I smoked them individually. With the Cookshack's quick cooking time it was no big deal. In the past I had to cook them over a very low temp for about 12-16 hours. Other than the skin pulling back, they turned out great.

Brined overnight in Smokin's Holiday Brine & rubbed with poultry rub. Added celery & onion to the cavity & sprayed entire bird with butter flavored spray. Cooked at 250 degrees for 1 hour w/ breast down & then turned breast side up. Just over 2 more hours with breast up. I also sprayed the birds with more butter flavored spray when I turned them.
No one in my family likes dark meat so I can fit two turkey breasts in my cooker. 3 hours seems realy quick to me to. I have always done mine for 6 hours at 225. I mix some butter/pepper and garlic salt up and shove under the skin. Let them sit for 20-30 minute before carving. I let them sit in something with a cover on so they stay hot.

See Pics below.

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/DC/7A/43040732-a8e6-014000F0-.jpg
I don't get it. It always takes me at least 6 hours to get a breast done at 225. Thinking maybe it really doesn't take that long I pulled one out at like 4.5 hours tonight and it only measured 150. I put in the oven to finish and somehow managed not to turn the oven on..grrr..ordered pizza. Any time I stray from what I know stupid crap happens to me.
Tony, that's interesting.. can't figure this out. Have you tried checking your thermometers in both ice water and boiling water.. assuming you are reasonably close to sea level and your water boils at 212�F.

I did a turkey today.. put it in the smokette at 10:00AM and pulled it at 2:00PM and it was at a higher temp than I usually pull it.. I pulled it today at 170�.. I usually pull it at 165�

BTW, this is the first time I remembered to use oiled cheese cloth over the bird.. and I flipped the bird at 2.5 hrs to put the breast down.. The whole thing was nice and moist.

Bill
I�ll have to test my thermometer. It�s a nice digital one from Chef�s you�d think it would be correct. I do cook my birds with the breast up, I suppose that could make a difference. My birds don�t seem over cooked, they aren�t falling apart. Interestingly enough when the bird was finally done last night it was the best darn turkey I�ve ever had. I think that extra sitting around for 40 minutes when I didn�t turn on the oven, and then about another hour when I took it out of the oven made it nice and rested. I had also used a bit larger piece of wood, I�m always careful not to use to much as I don�t want it to be over powering. This meat had a nice smoky flavor all the way through. I�ll eat it for supper tonight and bring the left overs for the break table tomorrow. People here like my left
overs.

I've got one of those fancy remote thermometers coming. It will be interesting to watch it more closely as I hate opening the door.
TB.. I forgot to mention in my prior post that my temps were set at 225� for most of my cooks.. especially my birds. So, it's curious that your cook times are so long at the same settings.

I wrote a post a couple weeks ago under the name "WeeWilly" that was titled something like "Learning Curve" In it I mentioned that I had problems with a cook where tried to foil a shelf to prevent drippings from hitting the top of the woodbox causing carbon to increase on my meat. Well, I made the sheet too big.. and it did one of two things.. blocked the flow of air to the thermostat pickup at the back of the smoker.. or it simply kept the heat from circulating properly inside the box. I still want to find a better way to keep the drippings off the smokers wood box.. and not interrupt the proper flow of heat/smoke inside tbe smoker.

Another possible thing might be a plugged bottom drip hole (or the top vent). That would keep the heat flow from circulating properly. While the door does not effect a perfect seal and allows some air to enter.. it may not be enough to allow the proper flow of moist air out the top vent.. keeping the heating element from cycling properly.

Only other thing I can think of is low voltage at your smoker.. you aren't by chance using an extension cord? A small gage extension cord is a great resistor that effectively can lower the voltage at the smoker.. causing it to not reach the desired temps..

Boxcar
Smokenque,
I do all of my smoking on the middle shelf in my 009. I cover the top of the woodbox with foil. If you're wanting to keeping the drippings entirely off the box, one way would be to install the lower shelf and place a piece of foil just large enough to cover the width of the wood box. The foil should not be flat on the shelf otherwise the dripping will collect there. Try using heavy duty foil and try to pitch a tent on the shelf. Doing this, the dirpping will drip onto the foil and then run off and land on the bottom of the smoker. Very little, if any, would drip onto the woodbox.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.