Skip to main content

Please.... HELP! I know it's bigger than I should have bought, but I'm stuck with it. I see a lot of times for brined birds, but so far I've not been able to get any kind of an idea as to about how long it will take to smoke this 20#er in my Smokette. Should I figure on 1/2 hour/#? I plan on preheating the smoker to 250-275 to hopefully help with the danger zone. Any feedback will be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS !! Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First.. before it's thawed.. if frozen.. Does it fit into the smokette? That's a pretty big bird for the 008. If too large.. possibly cutting into two pieces.. might help.

Typically, it takes me 3.5 to 4 hours for a 12# bird. Thats about 20 minutes/lb. I'd guestimate that a bird in the 20# range would b closer to 30 min/lb. because of added breast thickness.

I've never had issues with the danger zone cuz it's not stuffed and my 008 comes up to temp pretty quick. I set my Temp to 250ºF

Others will chime in
thanks for the info I think it will fit in the smoker I am just worried about the time I am going to cook it at full blast (250) just trying to figure out what time to put a 20#brined bullerball bird on to cook to be ready at 3:00pm on Thanksging day ?

p.s Iam not a secretive guy let me know what you whant to cook I probably have a recipe for it I just cooked up 20 pints tonight of jalapeno jelly for friends.
Rookie,

For smoking "typically" hours per pound is based on the temp, not the size of the bird. So if people are smoking at 250 it's xx per pd, then you just cook it longer.

Take it out of the fridge (while still in the wrapper) and see if it will even fit. If as Rocky says it won't fit you've solved that problem. But based on shapes, it's possible it might fit, but it will be VERY tight and might restrict airflow.

If it's that tight, not sure it will smoke/cook evenly.

Test it for size first, then let us know.
Frozen Butterballs are pumped with an oil/water solution,but to a lesser degree than some others.

One solution,if it will not be a table display,is cut the leg quarters from the breast.

Maybe even add the back into the stock pan with the giblets,for your gravy.

The breast can be removed,wrapped and coolered,until ready-while the dark meat continues to cook.

Or,start the leg quarters and add the breast later.

You can still display the breast,surrounded by dark pieces and some garnish.

This method also leaves room to put a few store bought precooked sausages in for about an hour.

Makes a great appetizer,sliced and put out with a couple dips.

Sometimes it keeps the "wolves at bay" ,if dinner runs a little behind. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Old Rookie:
Going by what I've read so far, I'm figuring about 20-25 minutes per pound. Thanks again.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL !

I'm trying to develop a table for everyone to give a rule of thumb. Here's what I posted last year, so 20 min at 250 is what I'd plan on

Please, everyone post your times in the report, I'm trying to add to the table for times, so IF you're smoking this year, post your results in the 2008 thread

225 = TBD?
250 = plan on 20 min pd
275 = plan on 17.5 min a pd
325 = plan on 15 min a pd

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.