Skip to main content

2nd Butt ever. 10 lbs with bone in. Started at 5p on Saturday at 225 degrees. Sunday 5a it was 170 degrees. Finally got to 190 at 1p on Sunday. Figured I take it out for the family get together even though I was shooting for a higher temp. Seemed moist while pulling. Put it into 2 warming trays. One with Sweet Baby Ray sauce and the other naked with CS rub. I didn't like it naked nearly as much. Tasted dry. The sauce version was good, but it didn't wow me. The family liked it only the sauce version, but I feel like I'm missing something. Should I have allowed the meat to rest longer than 20 minutes? I smoked with the fat side down. Was that a problem? Should I have cooked at a higher temp? 20hrs is much longer than I anticipated. Is that normal? Kinda frustrated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Marty

20 hr cook is not unheard of but more important than time is your results.

Pork butt in a CS should be VERY tender and moist. If not... it's the meat or the cook. Smiler

Check the pork 101 carefully and compare to your experience. There's no secret or trick to it.

If you don't have one now, I would get an inexpensive handheld temp probe (example) to 'second guess' internal temps while getting used to new smoker.

The best thing about a pork butt is the opportunity to try several sauces with each cook until you find the one that makes'em smile. I sometimes like a ketchup based sauce 'slightly' drizzled over a sandwich but I don't really care for that type sauce 'mixed' into pulled pork. Just me maybe...

My favorite is vinegar based sauce - mixed in lightly. There are lots of variations of this sauce and used correctly they all work to enhance pork flavor not cover it. Let me know if you have trouble finding one that works.
Hi Marty,
Don't worry..you're right on track. I am with Big Snack on this one. My butts take 2+ hours per pound and I usually kick up the temp once I hit about 191/192 and take it out around 198. After listening to everyone here, I then wrap it in foil, cover it with towels or lots of newspapers fluffed up and let it sit in a cooler for a couple of hours...don't worry...it will still be hot as heck when you take it out to pull agree. Use a really good temp probe and check it in a couple of places.
I promise you will get it so you and your family love it.
Thanks for the replys.

I used CS Rib Rub and used 2 chunks of CS Hickory wood. My smoker is CS Smokette 09. My remote prob is a Redi-Chek from BBB. Placed in the thickest part of the meat being careful not to place near the bone. Granted it's cold here in Wisconsin, I've read that the insulation on the CS's are top notch.

Trust me, I've read the 101's. I've even printed them all and made myself a little cookbook dedicated for just BBQ'n. Not blaming the smoker at all!

What I am confused with is "it's done when it's done". Had I not had a probe, I would have no idea I wasn't close even after 15 hours. Plus the 101 says to let it sit for 10-15 minutes after while I also read 2 hours wrapped in foil, towels and placed in a cooler. The CS blue cookbook says to use 4oz for a 5lb butt, but the front of the same book says to use 2oz per 20lbs of meat. Guidelines I'm sure, but confusing for this newbie.

Maybe I should try letting it sit longer after. I'll also let it cook even higher than 190. I guess I thought this may be a little easier. I will learn.
If you're going to eat immediately after taking it out of the smoker, some recommend letting it set for 10-15 minutes before pullin. If you're targeting dinner at, say, 6:00, we suggest shooting to complete the smoke a couple hours early, like 4:00.

If it finishes when planned, then double heavy duty foil, wrap in a beach towel, into a cooler. It will stay hot to the touch for several hours or longer this way. If it's stubborn and takes longer to smoke, you then have a couple hours flexibility to still have a well planned dinner at 6:00. If it takes longer but is done earlier than the 10-15 minutes before dinner, you can still FTC till you're ready for it.

2 oz. of wood is light for a butt. 4-5 oz or more if you like a heavier smoke flavor. You may want to use a smaller amount of wood for lighter fare like chicken or fish. You can always add more on subsequent smokes once you determine your preference.

I took yesterday's butt out at 193* and immediately pulled it without resting it (tasty and moist). I put it in late, and it was already 7:45 by the time we ate. It pulled but I had to work at it a little. Between 200-205*, it almost pulls itself.
Marty,

What your experiencing is the dreaded learning curve. A person can get so frustrated because there is no recipe like baking a cake, but with this great forum and its members, you will be laughing about this in a short period of time.I remember my family getting on me because It wasn't ready to eat when I thought it should be done. This is where good notes will help in the FUTURE, but you have to get to that point.

A short rest peroid will let the juices equalize in the meat. What you need to keep in mind is that meat cooked and FTC will continue to rise another 10-15*. That means when our members talk about letting rest for 2-3 hrs they are actually cooking the meat in the cooler while its juices are equalizing. If you don't give it this long of a rest you might consider a higher finished temp.

You have to really lay the rub on PB's to get flavor in the bark.Pags gave you a good tip on more wood. Please do all of us a favor and stop reading out of that book and use the forum as a guide. I think you will be happier.

"It's done when it's done" , means that no two pieces of meat will be the same to finish so you have to learn to tell when its time to pull by methods other then time.

Outside temps will have very little effect on cook time as long as door of smoker is not opened very often or for very long. Everytime you open door it adds 30-45 min. to the cook time.

If you have other questions keep asking, no limit???
Good comments by the fine cooks above.

A couple thoughts :Has the therm actually been checked for accuracy?I don't care what brand it is,if the chinese prisoners put the probe in backwards-it isn't correct.
Has the spot where the butt is setting,actually at the the temp you think?

I verify five remote probes, before each cookoff,and by the time we get there-one is way off. Eeker

The therm tells you when you are close,then twist the bone,or squeeze the butt.

If it is trying to fall apart when you pick it with up with two hands,it is plenty done-so go eat some. Big Grin

Everyone gets hung up on this TIME per POUND.

There AIN"T no straight timeline on a butt!!!

Slice across a butt and get a 1/4 inch slice,fry it 2 mins on each side in a 375* skillet and IT IS AT TEMP.[whatever that means]

Now try to pull the meat,or chew that rascal. Eeker

The goal in low and slow cooking is to render fat and break down collagen,thus a 1/4 inch slice could take the same time as a five lb butt.

Think about it. Smiler

Yes,folks that cook 8 lb bonein fresh butts,everything is accurate,don't open the door until above 190*,cook longer if it needs it,wraps and rests it a few hrs,probably is around 1.5 hrs/lb. Smiler

BTW,my old smokette did,and does, like to run at an ACCURATE 235* in the center of the center rack.

The rest is like the cooks above said. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Marty-WI:
What I am confused with is "it's done when it's done". Had I not had a probe, I would have no idea I wasn't close even after 15 hours.

First of all, that's MY saying... I'm just sayin' Big Grin

It only means that this isn't a recipe, so don't cook it like a cake. You have to find a way to determine doneness. For most, that's a remote probe and a TARGET temp. I used caps on purpose. It's only a target. You'll have to determine if it's done. You do that by testing it when you reach your target. Some will tug on the bone to see if it removes easily. Others will use the probe (or another probe) and just push it into the meat. Feel for how much give it does/doesn't have. That's the best way. It will have less give in the middle than the outside because of the density of the PB.

As for the varying times, temps, methods, etc. We've been at this forum for 10 years, and I'll say that most of my posts are consistent, but you'd have to read all of them.

Most Smokette, 008/009, insert model # for the electric CS indicate 2 hours a pd is a good average.

There's no absolute right or wrong. PB's are the easiest to cook.

Are there conflicting statements. Sure, not like I haven't posted over 10,000 times. But what you'd see is not conflicting statements, but evolution in trying to help.

PB 101 was written over 10 years ago. And yes, I need to redo it, but I have so much PB info in my head (from 10 years of user questions) it's really a MAJOR project to rewrite.

Until then, just ask, we'll answer.

I would:

1) validate the internal temp of the smoker
2) validate the temp of the probe

quote:
... Put it into 2 warming trays. One with Sweet Baby Ray sauce and the other naked with CS rub. I didn't like it naked nearly as much. Tasted dry.
You made conflicting statements. You said it looked moist but tasted dry. Depends on how long in the warming try. try mixing in some rubs for more flavor, yes, after pulling. Also a little sauce (I like the ones in PB101 because they're thin).

Letting it rest is just like letting a steak rest. You want all those juices to dispurse throughout the meat. Oh and keep the juices if you used foil and you can pour them on or defat them and pour on.
Last edited by Former Member
Smokin that's a great explanation! If it wasn't for you and this board I wouldn't be known for good que.

I remember a 50-60 lb load in my Amerique that was 23 hours. When this load was in process, all I could remember was, "it's done when it's done".

Smokin, sorry to hear you are suffering from PB overload. Looks like you need to dump some memory. Hope it works out for all our sakes!Smiler
Smokin',although the rewrite will take lots of your thought,hopefully the actual text can be somewhat brief.

As we know,the less complicated our approach to cooking butts/shoulders ,the better the result.

One important step could be "no one is allowed to try any "tricks" they read/hear about,until they have had a minimum of 20 butt cook sessions".
That way,they will have had a chance to read the forums,Smokin's 101 s ,the FIND on pork,and already be able to turn out very good pork.

Then,they have the experience to be selective in those "tricks" that may give improvements,those that may be interesting,and discard the 95% that would have kept them from becoming good pork cooks. Wink

Just my $0.02
The FIND function at page top should give many threads ,and allow you to select approaches that may meet your needs,and help keep them on track.

The Thermometer forum will give great info along the same lines and answer most other questions.

If there are any specific questions after that,it helps us narrow down our answers.

If someone guesses at methods to check accuracy,then there might be solutions to fix the specific problems.
Cal,you are getting smarter every day. Wink

The change might be to handle specific problems with the cooker,the load,the product,a need to create a different end result with the product,power supply, timing to finish-or hold,prep or presentation.

When we know how to produce a very good product in a timely manner,our experience allows us to adjust and tell if we are going forward-or backwards.
Thanks for more clarification. If I sounded like I was blaming anyone on verbage or instructions, please don't take it that way. I'm just frustrated with myself and my poor planning. All part of the curve as cal said.

What I meant with looking moist, but tasting dry was from an obsveration. My dad pulled the pork. As he did, it looked moist. I was excited. When we added it to the warming tray, I did add more CS rub to it. When I tasted it later I thought it was dry vs. what it looked like originally. There was equal amounts of both naked and with sauce and the sauce side was gone. 1/2 the naked was left.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse. This was an improvement over my 1st butt. When I get it right, you'll all know. Smiler

Thanks again!
quote:
Thanks for more clarification. If I sounded like I was blaming anyone on verbage or instructions, please don't take it that way. I'm just frustrated with myself and my poor planning. All part of the curve as cal said.

Thanks again!

No worries, you'll just have to bear with us while we pick the words apart and try to figure out what you really meant Big Grin

That's the tough part about forums, hard to really tell sometimes.

Good luck with it, lot of good info here, no get busy reading, only another 100,000 posts to get to.

Smokin'
Marty,
One last thought, which redoak touched on. A person has to know where he came from to know where he is going. I'm from the Midwest we eat hambugers and frenchfries by hand with the condiments that I have eaten since childhood. I like them so to heck with what other people like in other parts of the country.

My best PB's that I had was for my Fatherinlaws 80th birthday. It was a family event and for something that they never have experienced, I decided to FTC and took them out directly unwrapped as we ate and let everyone pull their own to make sandwiches. I had a bottle of local BBQ sauce and they put it on the sandwiches how they liked it.I had an EXCELLENT response from everyone, but that is just where I have came from. Not right or wrong just ME and my FAMILY.It will be something that I'm sure everyone will remember.
Yep,many folks would think"well,I don't know how to pull a butt,or it must be messy".

Give them some insulated latex gloves and coach them to pull one from start,and encourage them to eat whichever bites look good to them.

Then say, "its time for you to add a little rub,and maybe a little vinegar sauce to it".

Gosh,they don't know how. Eeker

"Just do it to taste,until it suits you",you tell them.

Put a couple TBSP of each of three sauces,a couple inches apart on a plate, and ask them taste with the meat, to pick which one goes best with the pork.

When done,1/2 the butt is gone,and they've never imagined pork could taste like that. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.