Skip to main content

I have the SM025 and have been using it for about a year with great results. I've never tried to put two whole briskets in it before and want to do it for a party this weekend. Anybody have experience sort of maxing out the capacity of the SM025? And, how long did that much brisket take to smoke? Thank you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum

If it fits smoke it!

I have a SM066 but your grills are the same size as mine so I’d say you should be able to do 2 packers without an issue

The hot spot will be right above the smoke box so I’d say put the bottom brisket in fat side down and slide it to the back and put the top brisket in fat side up close to the front.

That’s what works for me in my AmeriQue.

Don’t forget to read Smokin Okie's Brisket 101

a rough guess would be an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half per pound
I like to put them an hour before bedtime and when they're done FTC (foil, towel, and cooler) them for up to 6 hours

Above all don’t forget to post pictures
Please tell me that you've not been lurking in the shadows for a year?

Any way, I've never done two packers on my 020, but have maxed it out more than a few times. The time that I did two PBs and two brisket flats come to my mind. They WILL cook faster then you think, so don't worry about adding more time.

I would make sure you put the one with the thickest fat cap on the bottom,fat cap down, and wouldn't trim it at all.

Oh, you might want a bigger drip pan, or watch it so it doesn't overflow.
Thanks very much for the reply! I guess my key question was is the density of two 12 lb briskets (versus only 1) going to add significant time to the overall process? The 1.25 to 1.5 estimate is applied to individual briskets, not combined weight in the smoker (right?)...so brisket #1 may take 14 hours and #2 may need a few hours more. I do have a temp probe...just trying to gauge how far in advance to start for safety. I'm thinking if I start at midnight on Friday...one way or the other (including some FTC time) they'll be ready for a 6PM dinner (18 hours later)...Is that a fair guess? And, I'll gladly post pix.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.