Skip to main content

I just picked one up on sale for a couple bucks. I've got a 009. I know I've got to brine, but I've read many of the posts and there is alot of varience to what to do. My questions are what to brine it in and how long? What temp to set the smoker on and to what temp/time to I take the little guy out?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Basic Brine ratio is 1 cup Kosher Salt to 1 Gallon of water mixed until completely dissolved. You can add aromatics like Bay Leaf, and sweetner like sugar, honey, or maple syrup, but keep that to about 1/4 cup per gallon of water.

I brine one hour per pound, so a 4.25 lb bird would get 4.25 hours in brine, refrigerated.

I just got an Amerique and have had much better results putting it into a hot smoker and cooking until you hit an internal temp of 165 in the thigh, or when the juices run clear and the legs moves easily.

Hope that helps!
DMG -- Just for clarification, "NO," you don't "have to brine!" I rarely brine my birds and friends & family love the smoked chicken. Probably get more requests for that than anything else.

Go ahead and brine if you are looking to add a variety of flavors or to juice-up the bird a tad. That's ok. I just don't want anyone to get the idea that one "must brine" when smoking poultry! Big Grin

Let us know how it goes... Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.