Skip to main content

Hi Gang, I picked up 3 Flats (the only cut I can get here) and was curious as to, If it is recommended to cook them all at the same time. (since there are 3 shelves I know its possible but would you recommed) My main question is, What would the difference in cooking times between the 3 shelves, as I have read that the lower shelves will finish sooner since they are nearer to the heating element (I know they are done when they are done but looking for something to gauge my times). Would appreciate any recommendations, and if you would or would do all three in a smokette at the same time. Txs and Happy Holidays to all Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the same problem as you Joey. I'd do two things. First, I'd cover each flat with a layer of thick cut bacon--the fattier, the better. I used the oscar mayer thick cut from the grocery store and just picked the packages that looked the fattiest (usually not too hard to do since most people are looking for the leaner packages). Next, I'd switch the top and bottom racks halfway through the cook. Try setting the CS to 225 degrees and figure 1 and a half hours per pound. At the halfway point you can swap top for bottom and insert your polders. Take the briskets to 200-205, take them out, brush down with some sauce of your choice, double wrap in aluminum and put in the cooler until your ready to slice and eat.

Man, I made myself hungry talking about it! Got to go to the store and see if they have any nice 6 pounders! Good luck!
went to the market and they only had one brisket out and it had been trimmed way to lean. Just as I was about to leave the butcher came out so I asked if he had any others in back. Well sure enough he had one still in the cryovac. Nice layer of fat as it hadn't been trimmed out yet. It was a big boy so I had him cut it in half and I happily took both halves. My wife says she prefers her mother's recipe so shewill be cooking one the "Jewish mother" way--in the oven with onions and a tomato based sauce. I will cook the other Texas style in the smokette and we'll just have to have a little brisket war to see how folks like it best. I'm betting Texas over Tel Aviv! Although, either way I'm a winner as I'll have two delicious dinners! Am I smart or what.
The wife launched her brisket first. Although cooked in a conventional oven, the theory of low and slow still applies. Her recipe includes covering the brisket with a layer of sliced onions, chili sauce and I believe some other spices. Part of the way through the cooking process, a can of beer is poured in the pot. I sliced it for her last night and I will say that I have my work cut out for me. Very tender and very tasty. My half of the brisket was prepared yesterday with Rich's Radical Rub ( I'd have called it righteous but Andi took that one!). It's One part Montreal Steak seasoning, one part cookshack rib rub and two parts turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw). Put it in the smokette this morning at 225 covered with extra thick/extra fatty bacon. Wood used was one chunk hickory, one chunk apple and one chunk cherry (all small chunks). I have a polder in each end with my temp alarms set to 205. I will keep you all posted as to the outcome of this cook-off!
Thanks Tom. I actually have two probes in at either end and have been watching them for the last few hours. They are in the mid-170s now. The last one I did I took to 185 and it wasn't as tender as I likethem, so I'm going to take this one a little higher. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Tonight was round one in the Battle of the Briskets. We had the wife's brisket with mashed potatos and green bean cassarole. I have to give her credit--it was really good. Very tender and the way she cooks it the onions soaks up the flavor and makes them nice and tender.
I smoked my brisket yesterday. As previously discussed, used my rub of montreal steak seasoning, sugar in the raw and cs rib rub. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and smoked at 225 with apple, cherry and hickory. It cooked for just over nine hours and it was 203 in the thin end and 195 in the thick end. Brushed with bbq sauce and double wrapped and placed in the cooler for an hour to develop the flavors some more. Sliced and froze it for eating over the weekend. Plan to serve with buns, slaw and sweet potato fries. Unfortunately, since I'm the big soked meat addict in this house I'm guessing that the wife takes this round, but she has a very small cache of recipes and she can't compete with my ribs! I will report on the crowd reaction to my brisket (by the way, the pieces I tasted while slicing were outrageous!)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.