Skip to main content

As my Saturday feeding for 60-70 nears, I just purchased 3 cryo-vac'd Briskets of which 2 weighed 13 lbs and one's 11 lb. (how cool to finally get the whole deal!). I've been reading posts like a mad-man to determine my strategy for when to "Shack-'em." I have 4 8 lb. Pork butts going in tonight as I intend to pull tomorrow AM when they're done and "bag" 'til Saturday. I realize I still may not have enough meat. (Thoughts welcomed!)

I've been enjoying the Mesquite taste for the brisket flats I've been doing so will likely be using that. I'm going to do my usual Montreal Seasoning rub with a tad of CS Spicy Chicken on one side too--which is a very nice combo.

Questions I still have:

1. Can I stuff all 3 whole trimmed briskets into the 55 or should I limit it to two and then do another separately?

2. Do I need extra wood at the beginning of the smoke or should I throw another block on after a couple hours? (for the Pork Butt's too?)

3. Does my strategy of smoking these briskets Thursday evening make sense--assuming they'll be done mid-day Friday (most likely) and then I slice, put in large disposable foil pans--cover, refrigerate overnight and re-heat with a bit of low-sodium broth on Saturday? 225 degrees all the way?

4. Still a bit confused if the "point" will need additional cooking time if the "flat" is done for me at 190 degrees?

Thanks in advance!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shooter,

I have cooked three 12-13 pound briskets in my CS55. I don't use mesquite, but I used four pieces of pecan when cooking the briskets. In ounces they may have weighed 6-7 ounces and the brisket were not over smoked. Anyway! I like a good smoked flavor and use an extra ounce over most of my friends with Cookshack smokers. Put the top two briskets fat side up and the bottom brisket fat down. Using butchers string, I roll the flat under and tie the brisket to where it will not touch the sides and most of the time turned the briskets corner to corner. I smoke my briskets till they reach 193 to 195 degrees with the probe inserted in the point end. It may take 20-22 hours to reach the finish point.

Also, I never, never open up the doors to add wood. The first two to three hours of smoke is all your going to get to go into the meat and when you open the door pre-maturely you can see the full box of steam disapear and this makes for a dryer smoke.

smokemullet
Last edited by Former Member
Like mullet said.

Many folks find that on that long a smoke,much mesquite can get bitter.

Depending on the grade and oneryness of the cow,the packers could take from one to two hrs to finish.

Allowing 1 1/2 hrs usually gets you in the ballpark.

When you get over190º in the thick part of the flat,you might want to see how your probe moves through the meat.

You can toss the points back in for a couple,three hrs-or you can chop them for sandwiches.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.