Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

John,
When using 3 racks with 10/rack, I spin (180) about 1/2 way through smoke(2-3 Hours) I only exchange the position of the top and bottom rack - leaving the middle one in place. When wrapping for steam/tenderness, I abandon the racks and use full size aluminum pans, bones verticle (like in a rack) deepest meat-pull-away-from-bone-end down, with 1/2" - 1" liquid in the bottom, foil covering the pan. This is a LOT easier than individually wrapping each slab. Quality is "almost" as good as individule wrap.

Stephen
OOPS
In my opinion any fruit juice you like will do fine. You may also want to spread them out to finnish unwrapped so they will take on some color before adding sauce. My experience is that with the ribs stacked so close together they will be a gray color where they touch.Also expect more time to get them done wiith that load.

Gary
Q: Why don't you use the bottom rack? Do you think that it will be to hot to do ribs on the rack? Also at what temps do you cook at and what type of rib do you use?

A1: The amount of "radiant" heat produced from the bottom is too high for MY rib cooking preferences. When I have tried to use the bottom slot (4 10-rib-racks)I had to constantly shift the positions in order to obtain a consistant color without burning.
A2: I choose to cook ribs at 225 for the first (??2-3-4)hours to obtain smoke - My "smoke-temperature" timing is based on color of the ribs - when the ribs have obtained the proper color, they will also have enough smoke. Sue's personal preference is loin back ribs - so when cooking for us --- Its a wife thing, you should understand :-> . I also cook St.Louis spare ribs - I love and cook BOTH.
=========
Q: Do you feel that is the best process to take for tenderness? Are you using apple juice in the bottom of the foil pan? And how long do you put the pans back in the FE?

A3: Yes - wrapping/steaming is the most predictable method of obtaining tenderness / moisture. I use many different flavorings in my liquid - Apple Juice is certainly a main part.

A4: Steaming/pan-wrapping/ @ 250*F-265*F == Loin ribs require 1-3/4 -- 2-1/4 hours, Spairs require 2-1/2 -- 3-1/4 hours.

Additional comments. When I am doing ribs in "RACKS" it is for a large group. Typically for those groups, I tend to "overtenderize" when compared to my competition ribs. MOST people prefer a softer - "meat falls off the bone" rib.

I also agree with Gary, after steaming, a quick "flash" using the bottom shelf with a glaze/sauce is a great finisher. Use just enough time on that shelf to "set the glaze"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.