Skip to main content

Began this about three weeks ago. Started with 35 pounds of Pork Top Sirloin on sale at the local Grocery Store for 1.79/LB. Cure the meat with sweeter than sweet cure (Southern Indiana Butcher Supply) at the rate of .5 ounce per pound of meat. Packed the meat tightly in a meat lug in a meat lug. Here's a close up of the meat, a few days after beginning the cure. I rotated and repacked about every five days. First time I've ever cured in a Meat Lug, I usually use ziptop bags, but this was certainly easier.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ham is done. Smoked about 13 hours on the FEC 100, chugging right along at 166-168 with hickory wood pellets. This morning the internal temps spanned from 138 to 142. I'll be pulling them in a few minutes for the cool down. Then they will hang back in the fridge for a couple of days to equalize the smoke, then be sliced and vacuum sealed. We started with about 35 Pounds of Pork Top Sirloin, but will probably drop to about 25 pounds or so after all the moisture loss. I'll try to repost a final weight after they cool. This method really concentrates the flavor and is the way ham used to be.

Last edited by chaplainbill
Maria-Anne. I didn't get the individual weights of the 18 pieces which was included in the smoke. By the way, we got our pigs last week. 8 registered Heritage Breed Tamworth Pigs, Six Gilts and Two Boars. These will be our breeding stock, Attached is a pic. Hopefully, we'll get then bred by spring and have summer pigs. They are out on pasture on about 2 acres enjoying Acorns and Persimmons as well as some feed.

Last edited by chaplainbill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.