Skip to main content

Since my friends found out I have a "Cookshack" I am getting requests to cook for a few fraternal
events. The first is for 50 people. we think 6 7 lb butts from BJ's will be enough to feed the group. The outing ias going to be on a Saturday @2:00 pm.
My questions are,
1) Do you think 42 lbs of butts will be enough?

2) How many to cook in a 08 at a time? I've done two, but not sure about 3 at once.

3)Whats the best way to keep the first batch(s) until the rest are cooked.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoke the first batch to about 180 degrees internal, foil and refrigerate. Second batch goes in the night before the event. Allow about 2 hrs/lb at 225 degrees smoker temp. Reheat the first batch in a 325 degree oven (Butts still in the foil) until the internal temp of 195 degrees is reached. You could spray them liberally with apple juice prior to foiling. If the second batch is ready earlier than anticipated, foil, spray, wrap in a couple of towels and toss them in warm cooler till serving time. It works every time for me.
I've done 32 lbs of butts at one time,but you have to pick them for shape and do some mashing around.

I'd probably cook at least three of them in advance,pull them,place in half pans,plastic and foil,refrig.

Cook the remainder ,with thoughts of having them done about 10 AM.

Foil and cooler them.

Pull as you see you need them.

About noon place the 1/2 pans in a 250� oven,until about 145� internal.
Reduce and hold at about 140�.

Pull out and mix with a little apple juice ,or A.J./sauce mixture.

Hope this helps a little.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.