Skip to main content

How many baby back rib slabs will fit in an 008?

I cooked three slabs last weekend, each halved. Four half-slabs fit on the top rack in a Weber Rib Rack, and two more fit flat on the standard 008 rack below. I didn't use the third standard rack because I didn't need it.

Now I want to make more ribs at a time. It looked like I was leaving lots of room to spare with the three slabs. Is it OK to lay slabs on top of one another? I'd like to think I can do more than three slabs at a time.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
You can roll the slabs and fasten together with a skewer or toothpick and get quite a few in.

GLH, I assumed you had to allow all surface area of the ribs to be exposed to the heat and smoke. But it sounds like you're saying you can stand them up end-to-end like this ))))) and they'll be OK. Do I have that right? Or must there be airspace between each rack?
You can put them in either way, just be sure there is space for airflow around the meat and along the sides of the smoker. No big deal if the meat touches other meat, just not the sides, front and back of the smoker.

BTW, I have never done them this way, only seen a photo of them done this way somewhere on the forum a while back. A forum member does them this way and I cannot remember his handle.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by JohnQue:
quote:
You can roll the slabs and fasten together with a skewer or toothpick and get quite a few in.

If you do that, is the upper rack can be used ? or there is not enough clearance with the top of the smoker and have to place them only on the second shelve ?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.