Skip to main content

David's thread got me thinking. After I am done making my Tongue Pastrami I need to start a new smoking project. I would like to do bacon. Smokin suggested I start my own thread as I have the 025 not the FE100. I have a cold smoke baffle and am gonna purchase pork bellies, so any suggestions/words of wisdom?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
David's thread got me thinking. After I am done making my Tongue Pastrami I need to start a new smoking project. I would like to do bacon. Smokin suggested I start my own thread as I have the 025 not the FE100. I have a cold smoke baffle and am gonna purchase pork bellies, so any suggestions/words of wisdom?

Anxious to see your results Vicki. I've wanted to do some bacon in my SM025 for about a year now but would have to buy a case of pork bellies to try it. My meat guy wouldn't sell me just one pork belly.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:

Anxious to see your results Vicki. I've wanted to do some bacon in my SM025 for about a year now but would have to buy a case of pork bellies to try it. My meat guy wouldn't sell me just one pork belly.

Not even if you offered to buy the case one belly at a time? Too bad you can't get someone to go in and share in the case with you. I know over on another cooking thread I'm in there are a lot of members who do bacon. Jer
quote:

Are there any Asian markets near where you're located? If so, check them out. They normally carry fresh pork bellies.
quote:
Originally posted by dls:
quote:

Are there any Asian markets near where you're located? If so, check them out. They normally carry fresh pork bellies.

Ahhh! Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out...
I recently did a pork belly in my 045 with great results. After a 7 day cure and a good rinse in cold water I dried the slab good and smoked it at 170. I pulled it when the thickest part reached 150 and chilled it overnight before slicing. I need to make more, this one is almost gone.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CS_Bacon
buy the case!!!!! Cure it, one load at a time, smoke it one load at a time and vac seal and put up. The stuff will sell like hotcakes to friends and coworkers. I've got a FEC and did over 90 pounds last time (right before Christmas) and have only six pounds left.

As far as advice, After curing, I soak mine in cold water for a couple of hours to get rid of a lot of the salt, dry it and put a coat of brown sugar on it. Then smoke it. the brown sugar really brings out the flavor. I've done Canadian Bacon Also (out of pork loin) with the brown suger on the outside and it really makes it snap.

Try to get fresh (not frozen bellies). Here's a pic of the smoked, stacked bellies as they were cooling, from a batch about a year ago. Good luck.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_Web_IMG_3092
One question for Bill. Do you remove the skin at all, before or after smoking? I've seen conflicting instructions.
I also agree with soaking for a couple of hours to dilute the salt, great tip. I let mine sit in the fridge overnight to form a pellicle as well, really gave the smoke something to adhere to.
Since I'm not a certified meat processing facility, I can't really sell bacon. People do purchase the plastic bags (that happen to contain two pounds sliced) for about 12 bucks. The same bags containing ends and pieces would be about ten bucks. If you're trying to earn enough money for a FEC, borrow the money and buy the FEC. I sold enough plastic bags last year with Bacon, jerky, ribs, chicken, snack sticks and sausage to pay for half of my FEC.

With the bacon, I have the place I purchase them remove the rinds if I have them removed. About half of the folks like it on. If you have it removed prior to purchasing it, it is cheaper than removing it yourself; as the rind and the bit of fat that has to come off with it make for around 20 percent of the weight.

If you have a choice, take all you can off before to get the best penetration of cure and smoke. Either way, side-by-side bellies, (rind on and off) cured in the same amount of time, but I take them a full seven days, when they probably only need five. I figure about 1/4 inch a day per side for a full cure, but it varies.

Last batch costs 1.98 a pound raw, but I usually pay 2.25/LB. 30 cents a pound for the cure mix (hi mtn buckboard bacon cure) and I smoked them for 12 hours on 150 in the FEC. They did loose about 15-20 percent in water weight while smoking. I know it was water, as I weighed them before and after and had clean foil on the grease slide and it was still clean after the smoke. This long slow smoke Really concentrated the flavor and the texture was amazing.

I use 2.5 gal Ziploc bags and fit two five pound slabs on top of each other in them to cure, flipping the bag a couple of times thru the week it is in the fridge. I rinse the cured bellies real good, put them back in the same bag and fill the bag with water and ice, setting them all down in a cooler for a couple of hours. This is the un-messiest way for me to do the cure/rinse/soak process.

By the way, you guys that are having trouble finding bellies, try making some canadaian bacon out of pork loin, or some buck Board Bacon out of pork butt. The Cad bacon is like real good quality ham, amazing on sandwiches or whatever.

Here's a pic of my slicing setup, which annexes our dining room table. It takes three of us to complete the slicing/sealing process, completing about 30 to 40 pounds an hour. By the way, the scales in the pic has long since retired, as it was grossly inaccurate, over a quarter pound sometimes. I replaced it with a digital one that goes up to 70 pounds; I love it.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_IMG_3100
Last edited by chaplainbill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.