Skip to main content

Before getting my Smokette Elite several years ago, I used to use a "Turkey Sitter" (think "giant, fancy beer can" with a wide base for added stability)to smoke turkeys in a bullet smoker, and they were even better than my best attempts in the SM025. Till now, I have always smoked turkeys in the traditional way, laid down directly on the rack, and according to the Gospel of 'Okie. Now with Thanksgiving right around the corner, I would like to replicate my best turkey creation from the past, and I am left to ponder if I have enough clearance to set a 12-pounder upright, sitting on his "can."

I have scoured the internet to no avail, and now turn to my Cookshack brethren for answers/advice/anecdotes. Help a brother out.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Give it a shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained. That said...2 caveats.

I'd be surprised if a 12 lb bird will stand up inside the Smokette. Even if you fit it in, make sure you've got some clearance at the top. Heat gathers up there and the stainless up there should be pretty hot. Want your bird to cook evenly.

The smokette provides a very moist environment. If you're thinking about including a beer can, the environment will be very very moist. Do you like poached turkey?

If it fits and you've just got to try it, dump moisture often.

Let us know how it turns out.
I had to figure there was a reason I couldn't come up with many examples of beer can cooking in a Cookshack. Thanks for the feedback. Assuming it fits (I now have the bird in my possession...11.1 lbs), I may try it just for grins. Last time I did it, I used a pale ale and added oranges and sage. If for nothing else, I would think that it would help the legs and thighs to cook faster, helping minimize disparity with the breast.

...Besides...this year I am only cooking for 4 adults and the rest are kids. This is the year to experiment.

PS--is it because of the "already-moist environment" that folks don't use the "Flavor Infusion Reservoir" or other liquid tray? Between the brining, basting and cheese-clothing, the goal is to keep the turkey moist. Even if I didn't do the beer can setup, I was planning on using my reservoir. I figured I would finish it in the oven at a higher temp, if I was concerned about the skin.
Last edited by xlr8r

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.