Skip to main content

Here's my plan for this weekend. Somebody let me know if it's gonna work:
I've got a 10+ lb. packer brisket and a 9 lb. whole butt. I'm planning to put them both fat side up with the brisket in the middle rack and the butt on top. The brisket is huge and will fill the rack, so I'm a little concerned that it will block heat/smoke from the butt, but I read here somewhere that pork drippings are the best. Also, I only have one temp probe, so I'm planning on sticking it in the brisket, because it'll be closest to the heat and should be done sooner, right? Any thoughts on placement or where to put the therm?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cowboy did the same thing 2 weekends ago. Only difference was the butt was boneless and only about 5 lbs. Brisket was same size. Put them in at 225 at 8 pm Friday night took the brisket to 192 degrees done about 9:15 Sat morning. Wrapped and rested 2 hours then cut. Turned out good but next time will probably will take to about 195. The butt ended up staying in another 1.5 hours. Not sure if it was because the direct heat blockage or not. The butt turned out GREAT!! Have had a 008 since mid December and that was first brisket and 5th butt. Go for it, both should turn out great!!
IC Smoke
I've done that a couple of times, Cowboy, and it comes out great! Personally, I would put the brisket fat cap down. Since it will be closer to the heating element, the fat cap down will insulate the meat from the heat, and also, the good pork fat dripping onto the non-fat cap side will be able to flavor the meat a little better.

In reality, it will work both ways, but when I have done a butt over brisket (BoB), that's what I've done.

...ron
Well,a couple of thoughts.

I also like to cook pork above brisket.

Lot of good cooks will disagree,over fat up-or down,or flip it half way through.

Having the fat towards the heat source is kinda popular.

Pork butt is pretty forgiving,and can cook a long time-at lower temps.

Many folks allow themselves a couple hrs/lb-just to be sure of their timing.

A lot of folks allow themselves 1 1/2/lb for brisket-for timing sake.

Now a choice might finish in less than 1 1/4,a CAB might finish in an hr/lb.

The probe in the thickest part of the brisket flat is a good idea,as it may finish from 185�-205�.

How long it sets in a cooler ,and continues to cook ,will also affect when you pull it out.

When you check your packer,you can squeeze the butt and try to wiggle the bone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.