Skip to main content

I am new to posting on the forum, however, I have been a forum reader for the past couple of years.

I am catering a wedding on August 18th. We will be cooking Prime Rib for 200 people on an FEC500. The couple that is getting married has asked to have the rib sliced in 1/2 inch slices. We will be serving buffet style and slicing the prime rib as each individual comes through the line. My question is...How much Prime Rib should we be cooking considering that each person will receive a 1/2 inch thick piece of meat?

Also, we will be serving au jus and horse radish. Again, considering that this is going to be buffet style, any suggestions on how to serve the au jus and horse radish would be appreciated.

Smokin, I spoke to you about this wedding in April at the restaurant and catering class in Ponca City. You told me to contact you as the wedding got closer and that you would be happy to go over some ideas with me. I'm also happy to listen to any advice from other forum members.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yup, I remember. Welcome!

I'm not sure why the 1/2" rule, but if they're paying for it, that's ok or how did you price this.

Typical roast like Frog says is about 12 steaks, maybe just a little thicker than 1/2" so you will get a few more.

It's going to be a LOT of slicing. An electric slicer will make it quicker. I wouldn't do the slicing too far ahead as the color of the food (PR) changes once it hits the air. maybe slice to order since it's a buffet.

BUT...

A full slice will take up most/all of the plate. Maybe offer a little thicker, but cut each slice in 1/2 giving more room for sides.

What sides will you be having?

For the au jus, just have a warming tray (even a crock pot) just depends on the "look" you want.

And for people that want a "well done" after you slice it, just drop it in the warming au jus a few seconds and it colors them nicely.
Yes explain the advantages to a thicker cut half slice - otherwise the sides will require a separate plate and since it is buffet that will be very awkward, especially if anyone in line has been drinking before. Shoot a photo of a plate with a full slice and one with a thicker half slice with a baked potato and say some broccoli crowns. They'll be able to SEE what you mean. I would guess the Caesar's got it's own station and server, plates.
First of all, I want to thank everybody for their advice, especially Smokin Okie. We cooked 115 pounds of prime rib. The wedding party and all guests were extremely happy. As for my self, I was satisfied with the prime rib, but not ecstatic. The only thing that I wish that I would have done differently is taken the meat off the smoker sooner. The prime rib was very moist and had a little bit of pink but was more done than I would have preferred. We pulled the meat off at 130 internal temp. We then wrapped in foil and allowed the meat to rest in a cooler for 5 hours. It was still very hot when we started serving. However, I think that all of the meat resting in the same cooler for 5 hours caused it to become more done than I would have preferred. In cooking that much prime rib,would you recommend pulling the meat off at a lower temp, say 125. Or, would you let it rest for a shorter amount of time?
That's the tough thing about doing a new item on a large scale.

Resting didn't make it more done, that only adds a few degrees of overshoot. Did you temp it when you pulled it?

Overshoot is a direct function of how hot your smoker was. The lower the smoker, the less overshoot. The hotter the smoker (think oven) the higher the overshoot.

I cook mine to 120 to 125 as we like more MR. I talk about the fact that you could warm it in juice if they want a more done piece or that air will change the color once you cut it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.