Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, I found all 5 inch parts at a local stove/grill shop and the 5 inch elbow won't fit into the FEC 100 either, the elbow is just slightly bigger than the tube coming out of the FEC, tried a few things to get in there but basically just ended up trashing the elbow, any other ideas?
OK, went back to the stove/grill store and got another elbow, they gave me a crimp tool that allowed me to crimp the elbow a little more and i was then able to slip the elbow in to the tube, so that issue is taken care of, i got 2 sections of 24" tube and placed them on top of the elbow, then I got a 5 to 4 inch reducer and put a 4" cap on that, I didn't put the cap on though becuase I didn't know if the reducer would cause a problem. so I just fired it up with an elbow and one 24" piece of tubing and having all kinds of temp issues.
mclancey, I used 5" all the way through the roof of my shack. Had to order it through True Value Hdwe, and it is a 5" gas vent black pipe.
I think it is about a 7' run.
I would guess the 4" is giving you the problem on the temp control. I have no issues with temp on mine except when I have the door open too long. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by mclancey:
... then I got a 5 to 4 inch reducer and put a 4" cap on that....

Like Jarhead said, I'd watch your temps. Putting ANY caps, vents, tubing WILL affect your airflow. Really varies a lot. My advice is to watch it closely and see if it has any affect and if so, how much and if you're okay with it.
The reason the 5" pipes from Home Depot don't fit just right is because they aren't the right type of pipe. (As others have noted, with a little bending you can make 'em fit.)

A 5" wood stove pipe, gas appliance pipe, and pellet stove pipe are actually all different sizes, as I found out the hard way trying to make something fit. The 5" single wall pipe sold at most hardware stores is for stove vents, not pellet devices.

The FEC100 is designed to use L-Vent pipe, according to the current manual. L-Vent has a stainless steel liner that is 5", and there are L-Vent adapters that will slide right onto the FEC100. (The liner also makes it more expensive than regular stove pipe.)

The problem is most L-Vent pellet pipe is 3" or 4" for pellet stoves, but I finally stumbled on 5" L-Vent here: http://www.ventingpipe.com/5-inch-pellet-vent/c1549

The "5PSA" adapter fits my FEC100 just fine, and the rest of the L-Vent pipe just connects to that.
For what it's worth, the current manual also calls for having AT LEAST 4' of riser pipe on the FEC100. Since I have seen many, many photos of FEC's with just a cap on the side, I called Cookshack to ask about it. They told me the 4' recommendation was to prevent a high wind causing a backdraft that would blow the fire out.
quote:
Originally posted by CBQ:
For what it's worth, the current manual also calls for having AT LEAST 4' of riser pipe on the FEC100. Since I have seen many, many photos of FEC's with just a cap on the side, I called Cookshack to ask about it. They told me the 4' recommendation was to prevent a high wind causing a backdraft that would blow the fire out.

Interesting.

I'm one of the ones only using a cap. Mine sites outside, with the vent/cap facing straight south and it's WINDY in Oklahoma. No fires have evern been blown out in mine, can't see how a cap wouldn't prevent that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.