Skip to main content

Ok I have been smoking for the last few weeks, since I bought my new 008.Now it's all dark inside the smoker, like an old chimney but shiny, how often should i clean this mess up. My trays are cleaned everytime I'm done smoking, but the inside walls so filthy.
And what do I clean this with? CS reccomends cleaning after every smoke, but I find this overkill, any ideas?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I only clean the racks and change the foil. The only thing I do other than that is to make sure no big flakes are hanging from the top and sides. If there are then I scrape them. The black color in the smoker is the seasoning and it adds to the flavor of your food. I only completely clean my smokers shiny if something goes wrong and the scent of the seasoning goes bad. Since I don't want THAT added to my meat it's time to scrub a dub! Big Grin
I do everything the others say except when I pull the foil off the bottom I scrape the bottom of any excess grease and they wipe down the bottom with paper towels.
I bought some plastic putty knives at H.Depot and they work great.
Refoil, reload and recover the top of woodbox with foil and add wood.
Spray racks with Pam and ready to go the next round.
Dont forget to poke a drain hole in the bottom foil sheet.
I looked back in the archive a few weeks ago and saw some references to folks using lemon juice (and elbow grease!) with paper or cloth towels to clean the interior of the smoker. I tried it and it seems to do OK. Obviously, using some type of oven cleaner or any chemical cleanser introduces the chance of chemical soup in your (special) barbequed meat. I think I'll take advice above, though, and just hack off the big flakes.
I put all that comes out in the dishwasher on potsandpans highheat setting. I only wipe the inside out with dry papertowels. I have not found the need to scrape anything out of my Smokette in the 6 years I have had it. I leave it open to air out in the sun alot while removable stuff is in dishwasher.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.