Skip to main content

I am attending the California School of Culinary Arts. I have a Smokette at hom and we have an 008 in the Classroom. Yesterday, we tried to cold smoke salmon. We have a couple of big chiefs also. My Chef is was reluctant to cold smoke in the 008. They don't have a baffle, so I attempted to make one. I modified 2 half sheet pans and placed several layers of aluminum foil between them. I then placed a large bowl of ice and salt on top of my "baffle". I attempted to keep the temp. below 100F by getting the chips to smoke then turning off the unit. The result was steamed fish. Can anyone fill me in. Can you cold smoke in a cookshack or is it best left to the Big Chief?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is what I do. I reversed the bolts that are for the smoke vent at the top. This will leave threads showing out the top now. Go to your local home depot. Buy a gas pipe fitting and some hose. I bought 2 feet of clear.

Fill the wook box with about 6oz and pipe the hose to your the box you want to smokw in. I use a celery crisper for long items since it has a grate in it .

Works perfect. Any box will work

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.