Skip to main content

A recent article in Restaurant News said that while restaurant visits are up 52% over the last 12 months, consumers will be spending less per meal in 2010.

The simple conclusion is that we're going to have more shots at them, but they'll spend less per plate.

Im a writer for the Examiner.com, and would like to hear from the restaurant owners and caterers how you will address this trend. Will you simply settle for less, will you load up with lower cost, higher margin sides, and will you increase advertising? Any other plans? Thanks!
Original Post
Well, most of the common sides associated with BBQ are about as low cost, high margin as you can get unless you can talk your food supplier into giving the ingredients to you for free. It don't come much cheaper than slaw, beans, fries, and such.

As a caterer, I always try to put out an impressive spread. I add a lot of extras to fill the table and encourage pre-meal "grazing". I do sausage and cheese trays, pickle trays, veggie trays, and crackers and dip trays in some combination on almost every job. This buys me time to do what I need to do, but also give the client an increased sense of value, and allows me to go a little lighter on high cost items like meat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.