Skip to main content

I thought I would post this since a lot of folks are asking lately how to feed lots of people with a scheduled cook. Above all, to use a familiar quote, it's done when it's done.

This script is for a Sunday 2:30pm feed for approx 100 people. I always figure 3persons/lb of meat and 3 folks to a rack of ribs. The mix of products encourages folks to take a little of each thing.

2 Briskets - Trimmed Point and Flat - temp probe in largest brisket
4 Butt - Bone-in Boston Butt 8lb avg - temp probe in largest butt
12 Racks Ribs - St Louis Cut Spares - these will be placed in fe100 rib racks (you will need 2 of them)
10 lbs Chicken - Boneless Skinless Breast

Saturday 7pm Smoke Setting
Brisket(s) on top shelf (shelf number 1)
Butt(s) on Second Shelf (shelf number 2)
Saturday 9pm turn pit temp knob to 180 degrees
Sunday 5am turn pit temp knob to 250 (baste here if you are the basting type)
Sunday 8am look for 190 degree internal on butts, 200 degree internal on brisket
Sunday 9am butt(s)/brisket(s) should be done, if not keep them cooking till they are! ++
Sunday 9:30am place the ribs in smoker set at 250 (if butt/brisket done, Shelves 1&2, otherwise Shelves 3&4) ***
Sunday 11:30am spritz or baste the ribs if you are the type to do this
Sunday 1:00pm glaze the ribs if you are the "wet" type (they should be looking done here)
Sunday 1:30pm take ribs off and foil wrap for an hour
Sunday 1:30pm put chicken on with temp set at 250. Cook for approx 40 min. Internal chicken temp should be 160 deg.
Sunday 1:45pm Start pulling that pork and slicing the brisket
Sunday 2pm Glaze the chicken last 10min of cook
Sunday 2:30pm By now you should be eating and enjoying rave reviews of your Q'ing mastery!

++ make sure to foil wrap after taking off and put in newspaper lined cooler. Pull pork/Slice brisket as needed
*** if cooking only ribs another way to do them is 2hrs @ smoke and 2hrs @ 275
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I actually have a few scripts on a sheet of legal paper I keep folded up and tucked in my wallet. An extra copy is in my BBQ bible (Smoke & Spice).

When I start doing this thing more often I do have a whiteboard I could start using. Good idea, Jack.

I am looking into taking a course or two from the SBA. I would like to BBQ full-time if its at all possible.
bkyrd,
hey good for you. yes it is possible but it is also a lot of work to get up and running. if you would like to see what we have been thru so far just go to the professionals site and look at "took the plunge friday" and "trailer tech delays". by the way we have a new delievery date of aug 31 but we shall see.
jack
2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.